Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

My 1993 Isuzu Bighorn with the 4JG2 isn't starting. Cranks good but no diesel smell from the exhaust or will fire a little with starter fluid. The fuel filter is full so I think it's pretty safe to say it's the fuel cutoff solenoid. It randomly started working again for 3 days but now it won't start. There are three things on the injector pump, one is the TPS sensor and I'm not sure about the other two. One of them is two wires "B" and the other is one wire "A". "B" has a ground and with the keys on its about ~7 V. With the keys on "A" has about 8 V. I applied ground and 12 V to "B" and 12 V to "A" and the car did not start so I think the solenoid is bad but I'm not sure which is the fuel cutoff solenoid?

Grey Personal protective equipment Graffiti Art Painting

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Electrical wiring

Photograph Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
2,477 Posts
A is the shutoff solenoid

·
Super Moderator
2,477 Posts
Reactions: cgeoca

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,794 Posts
And if we were taking bets, I'd be betting it's not the fuel cutoff solenoid that's the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And if we were taking bets, I'd be betting it's not the fuel cutoff solenoid that's the problem.
You could be right. I'm kinda confused now. I went with this since I could get it the next day. Installed and the car cranked on things looked good. I tried turning the car off but it kept running.

When the ignition is ON the solenoid gets 12V and when the ignition is OFF it has 0V/grounded out. I can turn the car off by pulling the IG. COIL (G) FUEL CUT (D) fuse C-9 or when I unplug the wire on the solenoid.

Appears the solenoid allows fuel flow when it has 12V or ground but closes off when it's an open-loop (no power or ground). I did put a little dielectric grease on the plug sleeve to hold it in place during install but I don't see how that could affect it.

Any ideas?

Edit: also zero ohms from the solenoid house to the engine so the solenoid has a good ground.

·
Super Moderator
2,477 Posts
You could be right. I'm kinda confused now. I went with this since I could get it the next day. Installed and the car cranked on things looked good. I tried turning the car off but it kept running.

When the ignition is ON the solenoid gets 12V and when the ignition is OFF it has 0V/grounded out. I can turn the car off by pulling the IG. COIL (G) FUEL CUT (D) fuse C-9 or when I unplug the wire on the solenoid.

Appears the solenoid allows fuel flow when it has 12V or ground but closes off when it's an open-loop (no power or ground). I did put a little dielectric grease on the plug sleeve to hold it in place during install but I don't see how that could affect it.

Any ideas?

Edit: also zero ohms from the solenoid house to the engine so the solenoid has a good ground.
The solenoid should, and can, only allow fuel flow when there is 12v at the terminal. Unless the spring was not installed correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts