Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty here i have a rant about huge *** tires. On another site a guy is talking about getting 49" Swampers (the new IROKS, and honestly 38s are BIG). Now i must ask, whats the point?! Isnt the point of a truck the ability to load it up to or beyond capcity whith gravel dirt lumber what ever, and tow trailers? Doest something like that take that ablility away? And i let em know how i feel about this too. Imagine if this guy lost controll of this rig and hit something small like one of us. I personally ,like having a chance of surviving a wreck. And if people can run the Rubicon trail in stock Mitsubishi Monteros and Isuzu Troopers theres realy no point in a tire bigger than 33s is there? If you get stuck in the mud thats why you go whith a buddy and have a tow strap or a winch. I just dont get it! Well anyway what do you guys have to say about this?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Posers

Mall Cruzers

Ricers

Urban Rockcrawlers

It's not the tires (guns) or how big the tires (guns) are, it's how the tires (guns) are used by people.....

See how that argument works: (insert any liberal pet-peeve here)

Yes, using ridiculously large tires on an F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab with 12" lift blocks, yadda, yadda, yadda, is kinda (OK, very) stupid and a waste of money, and you're right, it is dangerous on the public roads in an evasive situation.

The only thing you can do is keep a safe following distance or safely pass and move on.

Now, the tires themselves and the demand for larger tires (and the ultra low-profile tires the ricers love) has been a boost to the tire industry, and its been welcomed by the hard-core rock-crawling crowd since it's also enhanced their sport as well. In this instance, the tires work out very well with custom buggies with low CoGs, not the huge Posers you will NEVER see on the Rubicon or other rock-trails. And, while I also roll my eyes sometimes, I have to temper it by remembering that there is a huge Kelly-Springfield tire plant AND a huge Firestone/Bridgestone tire plant only an hour from my house that employs hundreds if not thousands of people.

Face it, many people in the US have a true "bigger is better" attitude. The only thing you can do is provide a larger and larger circle of safety for them to (hopefully not) self-destruct in.

Just a thought or two or three :lol:

Cheers,

·
Registered
175 Posts
I once saw a picture of a VERY large 4x4 monster truck floating/paddling across Currituck Sound in NC. Perhaps the large tires aide in floatational abilitiy???? Otherwise they are just plain silly... (please note the sarcasm in this)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont have a problem whith rock buggies becouse they will never see pavment and are towed. And at least a traler will meet whith my grille/tailights or bumper not my windows...
And realy what they do whith thier truck is thier business, untill it put others safty in jepordy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you mean 49" on purpose? Can't tell for sure since you also compared to 38's.

But, I could see myself easily running 40" tires on the road. Off course, there would only be enough body left to be legal :D

As for the 'Con, you can make it through the easier section without a lot of mods. But you are not going to make it without damage. The basic minimum is 33's, a locker, skid plates, and rock sliders. With that you will come off the trail with only minor body damage. Now, if you want to run the Sluice or something, you are going to need 40+ inch tires, and SAS went out the window a long time ago.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i was perty much saying 38s are my personal limit. I drove a buddies K-5 Blazer on 38s once and i was iffy whith something that big.
Yeah the Sluice is a toughie. One of the Monteros in the group i mentioned it attempted and nearly made it but broke a CV and had to go home. And he was on 33s i believe whith a 2" lift and rear ARB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.