Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am on the war path for getting HD Tie Rods with off the shelf parts. I tried a set of very nice MOOG ends for a FORD E150 Van and damn they were nice with huge M22 threads but stud the same size as the Trooper. All I would have had to do was shorten the threads about a half inch and use the Ford adjusting sleeve and I would have been in business. Except the threads were so damn big they rubbed the shock when nearing full lock. It may have been ok when the suspension was at ride height but I was checking at full droop and had the issue.

So now I am going to return them for a set of IH Scout ends P/N ES392 L&R they have a smaller thread .687" which is 17.5mm which is much better than the M14 stockers. I can also use the MOOG adjuster sleeve ES2004S and should be able to run the joints out of the box provided they clear the shock.

In case anyone wants to take a look for themselves I am using this chart for sizing. http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/Un ... d_Ends.asp you can re arrange the chart by using the buttons in the header of the chart. Stock ball joints have a .708" bottom and .630" top on the tapered end. They are a standard taper. The joints with a .705" or .703" bottom will work fine. Some others will work but I want to watch the application and make sure they are common parts so I can find them anywhere.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Anxiously awaiting ur results.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the IH Scout Ends may have worked but they are way too hard to get. I would have had to wait 2 weeks and that is no good if one busts on me. So I am now going with ends for a late model F150. They use a M18 threaded rod and a M14 nut on the taper which is like stock. I got a solid steel adjuster sleeve with jamb nuts that was also in stock. I will have to trim the thread on the ball joint but its no big deal. I will post part numbers if it all works out.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
:happy1:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Through my searching I believe (but could be wrong) that the Indy TRE's are either ES262 L&R if the threads are .687" Which is and International and Checker application. Or it is a ES150 R&L which is a 57-66 F350 2WD. The Ford ones are easy to get but the 3/4-16 threads are not a common size so you cannot buy an off the shelf adjuster sleeve. This would make sense why Indy has a custom adjuster sleeve.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I have always just used the ER150's and put a washer under nut to take up space where taper is too long

3/4-16 threads

FYI

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup but I cannot locate a 3/4-16 threaded sleeve off the shelf so I don't want to use them. The ball joints I am using fit many more modern Ford vehicles and use a thread that is just 1mm smaller than the ER150's. My main goal is to put together something that anyone can put copy with parts store parts of any brand they like and drive to the opposite coast and buy the same parts the same day they walk in and fix their truck. Plus they should be able to do it all for $50 or $60 a side.

I should have time to do one side tonight and report back with part numbers and pics.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok great news it works! If you want to replicate this you need the following Moog part numbers ES3370T ES3369T and ES3201S. You will need 2 of each. The first 2 numbers are left and right hand matching tie rods and the last is the metal adjuster sleeve with jamb nuts. Install just requires cutting 7/8" off of each tie rod end to make them shorter. Screw them into the sleeve and match the length as best you can to the stock ones you removed. This will get you close enough to drive to the alignment shop.

Tie rods are for a 97-03 F150 4WD the sleeve is for a 93-97 Dodge Intrepid. Everything I asked for was on the shelf so it should be easy for everyone to get their hands on.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
okay so what is the dia of the tierod at the nut? what size is the nut?(wrench size is fine)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Would this mod work for the second gen pickup?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bansil said:
okay so what is the dia of the tierod at the nut? what size is the nut?(wrench size is fine)
The thread on the tie rod body is M18. The thread on the tapered stud is M14 this is the same thread and nut as stock.

Here is a much better picture. Clearance is about 3/16" at its closest point.

I am not sure if these will work on a pickup but if it uses the same tierods as a Trooper then I am guessing it would.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
4BYDIG said:
Would this mod work for the second gen pickup?
It should....im figuring it will on mine....it wont work for the widetrac vehicles tho need a longer adjuster sleeve. Double check on indy that they sale the same length rods between pre95 troops and 2nd gentrucks. I believe they do (short) for both......

·
Super Moderator
2,411 Posts
Tie rods are same on Troopers and Pickups. So yes The tie rod ends will work on your truck. The length of the sleeve might differ...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
This is really good to know. One again, thank you Geoff :D

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
mudoilngears said:
Tie rods are same on Troopers and Pickups. So yes The tie rod ends will work on your truck. The length of the sleeve might differ...
I honestly do think were good here....givin geo did these for a pre 95 troop....now had he compiled the parts for a widetrac troop then too long.....man I wish indy4x worked worth a crap on my phone..... cuz if their (short) hdtrods are for 2ndgens trucks 1stgen migos and pre95 troops, then these too will work for us all.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is another sleeve p/n ES3368S that is the same as the one I am using but measures 4.53" long. So you may be able to use it on a wide track truck. You also would not have to cut the threds on the tierod ends. If the sleeve is a bit too long you could cut it with a zip cutter or hacksaw and file the ends square. Or if you have acces to a lathe that would work even better.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok all is well, I finally had it aligned today and because my dad is the service manager I was able to stand there while it was all going on and get it set how I wanted. On this truck I set it up for long freeway drives and easy in town driving. 2.5* caster, 0* camber error on the negative side. 0* toe error on toe in. This makes it very easy to drive on long freeway trips. Steering is a bit more vague than if it were set up with another degree or two of caster and -1* camber and 1/16 toe in but I want to optimize tire life and fuel economy and reduce driver fatigue. The mechanic really liked the tie rods and I told him what they were made from and he was surprised it was that easy and all I had to do was cut the threads. I think he was more happy with the fact there was no rust on the adjuster sleeves and he didn't have to do battle with them. But for anyone contemplating this swap now you know that it works and is able to be aligned with ease. Enjoy!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Induct to the hall of fame?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts