Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got the big brakes swapped in. And the manual hubs installed.

Now it's time to do the master cylinder and the booster.

Looks like a direct bolt in. Except for one thing.

The old brake Master Cylinder has wiring. The new MC does not.

The old one is the original in the 88 LS model with cruise control.

The new one is out of Mediamonkey's old 93 troop. I don't know if he had cruise in that or not.

I mention cruise control, because that is the only thing I can think of, as a reason for this wiring. It's not like it has ABS...

Can anyone tell me for sure what that wiring is ?

Cruise control doesn't work anyway, so if that is what it is, I'll just leave the wires disconnected.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
His 93 was an LS, so I am willing to bet it had cruise control.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
94Rodayo4x4 said:
His 93 was an LS, so I am willing to bet it had cruise control.
Thank you. That's a good bet.

I can't find the wiring going to the MC, in the electrical diagrams, so I can't figure out what the wiring is FOR.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mallen said:
Is there a warning switch when it runs out of fluid?
No idea. But that was the only other idea I could think of for the reason there is wiring there. Low fluid level indicator.

The MC was completely empty this afternoon, when I finished up swapping the rotors and calipers. No light came on, on the dash. So I dunno...

If that's it, I'll just have to figure out whether to jumper the connector, or leave it un-jumpered.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
mallen said:
Is there a warning switch when it runs out of fluid?
yUP...it's called crashing into something :thefinger:

·
Registered
407 Posts
There is a switch that will tell you when your fluid gets low. I ran into this same issue when I got a new one from Jerry. It is only an idiot light, I just tied my old wires up out of the way.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Only one question, why did you swap master cylinders? The one on your 88 was fine. I realize a lot of people think that it was necessary but it really isn't. I upgraded front brakes on both of my 89's and they still have the original M/C.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
buffy said:
There is a switch that will tell you when your fluid gets low. I ran into this same issue when I got a new one from Jerry. It is only an idiot light, I just tied my old wires up out of the way.
Thank you.

I check the oil, coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid often. So I guess I won't worry about this.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sassee said:
Only one question, why did you swap master cylinders? The one on your 88 was fine. I realize a lot of people think that it was necessary but it really isn't. I upgraded front brakes on both of my 89's and they still have the original M/C.
I haven't swapped the MC and booster yet.

The 88 has a flaw in it. Which is the cause of 'sticky' brakes on some. (Doesn't let all the fluid return to the reservoir.)

I already have the MC and booster. I figure I might as well swap them, and not worry about the sticky brake problem.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
My impression was that the booster made the most difference. I am also planning on a big brake upgrade on either the Trooper or Pup, just waiting to figure out which one I am going to keep. I read somewhere someone had done the upgrade and was not impressed until he did the MC/Booster swap a bit later. I am thing it was Bart in Reno but I am not sure.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished swapping the entire system.

Booster and MC went in, today.

Just wish I could be in two places at one time, so I could bleed the brakes to my satisfaction. LOL

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well I just went and checked my upgrade in the box out. I have no wires but I can see where something might slip in under the resevor(can't spell). My 91 Trooper does have wires at the MC. They run to the area under the resevor, so I think it is a warning lite sensor. The one thing I noticed was the resevor is larger on the upgrade than on the 91 Trooper. My upgrade is from a 94 Rodeo. I was curious so I had to go check it out.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hessmess said:
Well I just went and checked my upgrade in the box out. I have no wires but I can see where something might slip in under the resevor(can't spell). My 91 Trooper does have wires at the MC. They run to the area under the resevor, so I think it is a warning lite sensor. The one thing I noticed was the resevor is larger on the upgrade than on the 91 Trooper. My upgrade is from a 94 Rodeo. I was curious so I had to go check it out.
My upgrade is out of a 93.

The wires on the 88 go right into the side of the plastic reservoir, itself.

The place where the wires would go to, on the bigger, 93 res... is pretty much a strange shaped hole all the way through the res. No wires. No place to plug them in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts