Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Rodeoholic said:
i ran mine at 40 psi, but that may be a little on the high side.
IMO - yes , about 5# on the high side.
I prefer 30-35#.
Gets good traction in bolth wet and dry stuff and gets good even wear.
Once again , just my opinion. :D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i ran it high because i had 1 leaky tire. it would get down to 10 psi occasionaly. very bad. i just had the front tires at 40, the rears at 35

·
Registered
825 Posts
I used to have a set of dunlop radial rovers-- i ended up wearing out the centers on the rear really fast running them at about 30psi.. idunno if it's an issue with only that type of tire... but i think the condition points to the posability that you should run lower pressure in the rear, since there is less weight back there, then air up when you load-up or tow something...

Now.. i moved up to a 265/75-16... and i've been trying to keep fuel economy up- so i'm running more pressure than would be optimal for this size- but still less pressure in the back than in the front..

I like 33 front, 28 rear at the moment... though... Traction was best in wet conditions with the front at 28 and the rear at 24.... see, when you increase tire size, your optimal tire pressure actually drops, because bigger tires have more air in them to begin with, so they can acomplish the same load carrying capacity with less pressure than smaller tires. The 30 inch tires you are running now, are really close to factory size, and factory recomends 29PSI.... If you want good fuel economy and are willing to risk middle-wear on the tire, I'd suggest 31 in the rear, and 36 up front, 40# is probably just too high for this weight of vehicle and will quickly create uneven wear... If you want optimal traction on these tires, 31 front, and 27 rear would be a good spot... The way I figure this... is the following method..

The 30x9.5-15/C BF ATko, is rated at 1990lbs load @ 50PSI max. A rodeo is around 4000-4500lbs depending on passengers and gear and stuff. 4 of these tires is about 8000lbs of carrying capacity when at 50PSI, So- the ratio of your weight to the tire load capacity for the 4 tires combined, should be the same as the ratio of the tire pressure you run to the max rated pressure on the sidewall. Then I usually add 1 PSI to this number, for a touch of fuel economy, and subtract a few from that for the rear and add a few for the front, to acomodate for weight differences.

4500lbs/8000lbs=0.5625
0.5625*50PSI=28.125PSI

round to 28, add 1psi. =29PSI. (something I should point out now... the actual diameter of this tire, is 29.5inches according to BFs site... which is identacle to the stock tire size on this vehicle, in the door of the vehicle, it says 29PSI, so this method I am suggesting, is realistic... and will usually come very close to the manufactures recomendation, but will also properly adjust for different tire sizes apropriotly.

Then I add a few to the front and subtract a few from the rear, that's how I came up with 31 for front, and 27 for rear..... and that might not even be enough to really get it ballenced right... But i don't know the exact weight distrobution of this vehicle... it accounts for up to 2500lbs up front, and up to about 2000lbs in the rear... which seems almost apropriot. there might be more weight up front than that though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.