Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys: What's the best sounding method for hooking up an iPOD to my trooper. I do not ahve a cassette. I picked up a Belkin Tunecast II RF transmitter, but fidelity was extremely bad. I think the unit did not put out a stron enough signal. NAy other ideas or links would be appreciated. Thanks, mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
The best way would be to install a new headunit with a set of inputs. You can then run a simple wire to your glove box or wherever you want and just simply plug and play without losing sound quality. If you can spend 300 bucks or so, Alpine and i blieve Pioneer both have units that, with and adapter of course, can totally control the ipod using the headunit. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Mark you may have some difficulty with a FM modulator in a city that has a lot of radio stations. You have to be able to find a clear FM station on your modulator before you'll get decent reception.

A Head unit swap to a unit that has a 1/8" mini plug connection on the front faceplate would be the best connection, as recommended. But try your FM modulator on the different channels.

I have had some difficulty with the XM radio in Kellis truck (CD player) having to use the FM modulator and while traveling sometimes I'll have to change the station on the modulator because there will be a radio station that's bleeding in.

Joe

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm assuming you have the factory head unit. If so, you can get an auxillary input adapter that will connect to the cd changer output on the head unit. The other end will have a set of RCA's which you can connect a 3.5 mini plug to. You can do this with any headunit that has a cd changer output.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I forgot to say I have an older Alpine head unit. I'd prefer to keep it. Also, I have on older sony disk player w/ RF modulator. Makes me wonder if I an retro fit it to work????

·
Registered
39 Posts
zutrooper said:
Sorry, I forgot to say I have an older Alpine head unit. I'd prefer to keep it. Also, I have on older sony disk player w/ RF modulator. Makes me wonder if I an retro fit it to work????
Check and see if that head unit has either an auxillary input or an cd changer interface. If you can tell me the model # I can find out for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Apple also makes and FM sending unit specificly for IPods thats called ITrip you could try getting one of those. A bunch of my friends have them and they work great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
StormTrooper46 said:
Apple also makes and FM sending unit specificly for IPods thats called ITrip you could try getting one of those. A bunch of my friends have them and they work great.
The problem with those is that you get sound quality on par with fm stereo, which for me defeats the purpose. Even a wired fm transmitter leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have an older alpine and I had to buy a plug that went into the back of the stereo that allowed for inputs. Now I just plug into my iPod or laptop's headphone jack.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That plug for the alpine will plug into the outlet for a multiple cd changer, and will give you two rca plugs, into which you can plug an rca to mini headphone cord. All you have to do after that is go into your settings on your head unit, where you can change the dim, sub, etc. and turn on AUX mode. Now when you switch your source, ie from radio to cd, you will have an AUX mode where you can play your iPOD.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I spent this weekend removing my old yet still beloved Alpine head unit and CD changer and replacing it with a new Alpine, Sirius Satellite tuner, Alpine iPod interface unit, and new speakers (Kicker in front, Alpine in the rear).

I'm happy! Ready for that 1500-mile roadtrip to a place where radio is still in the vacuum tube stage (Laredo, Texas). :D

Of course, today I had to take the rig into the body shop, so I won't be able to enjoy it for a week. :roll:

My only complaint with the head unit is that the interface for the iPod is kinda slow. Fortunately, I tend to listen to mixes anyway, and maybe there's a shortcut I'm not familiar with yet...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, it depends on your deck, and if you have any inputs or not.

I have a pioneer 6600, and XM direct. I run two RCAs from the XM direct box to the ipod, the end of the cord has the standard 9mm plug. Sounds great. I havnt played with it enough to just plug in into the decks aux yet, buit that will work also.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Zaphod said:
I spent this weekend removing my old yet still beloved Alpine head unit and CD changer and replacing it with a new Alpine, Sirius Satellite tuner, Alpine iPod interface unit, and new speakers (Kicker in front, Alpine in the rear).

I'm happy! Ready for that 1500-mile roadtrip to a place where radio is still in the vacuum tube stage (Laredo, Texas). :D

Of course, today I had to take the rig into the body shop, so I won't be able to enjoy it for a week. :roll:

My only complaint with the head unit is that the interface for the iPod is kinda slow. Fortunately, I tend to listen to mixes anyway, and maybe there's a shortcut I'm not familiar with yet...
Which head unit did you install? I'm looking at the CDA-9847 (CD/MP3/Sirius/XM/iPod...etc.).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Canucklehead said:
Which head unit did you install? I'm looking at the CDA-9847 (CD/MP3/Sirius/XM/iPod...etc.).
I installed the CDA-9855 head unit, KCA-420i iPod Interface, and Sirius SIR-ALP1 Sirius Satellite Interface. I also replaced the speakers with Kicker 05KS60 6-1/2" 2-Ways in the front and Alpine SPS-100A 4" 2-Ways in the rear.

Believe me, it ROCKS! :D

That said, the display on the head unit is difficult to see during the day, as the reflection off the seats washes it out. Also, the interface is less than easy to use, and searching for a song on the iPod is damned near impossible (takes forever, and with a hard-to-see display, well, you can imagine...).

I was going to try another head unit, but I'm happy with the way it sounds, and the iPod interface will be the same. The display I can live with. Besides, I really should try getting used to it before I complain too much.

But hey, I got my glove box back! My older Alpine had the CD Changer in there. The extra storage room is a Godsend!

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll be happy to help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.