Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm moving into a province that has insanely hot summers, and frigging cold winters. I'm worried about moving 1600kms with no tranny cooler, but once I'm in town, I'm not to worried, but should I get one just incase? I don't have the money to get it now, but once I'm done my move, I wouldn't mind getting it if its beneficial.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
It's extremely beneficial. In my case, it saved my tranny from burning up.

You can expect smoother shifts between gears, and just as it says, cooler fluid temps.

Well worth the money and time.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Install it so the fluid goes from the tranny, through the after market cooler, through the factory cooler in the bottom of the radiator, back to tranny. That will keep it from cooling the fluid too much in the cold weather. The fluid needs to be a certain temp for the tranny to work right and last longer.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Can someone PLEASE come put one in mine????????? :idea:

Seriously......I've had this truck for 15yrs, just have never gotten the time to do it

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Gizmo42 said:
Install it so the fluid goes from the tranny, through the after market cooler, through the factory cooler in the bottom of the radiator, back to tranny. That will keep it from cooling the fluid too much in the cold weather. The fluid needs to be a certain temp for the tranny to work right and last longer.
Depends on how cold it gets...more than -20F, then yes this is the way I would do it.

From the Hayden FAQ:
Transmissions are not highly sensitive to cool operating temperatures. However, in sub-zero (-20 to -30° F) weather conditions transmission fluid can actually gel up in an external cooler and cease to flow, causing damage. Use of the radiator cooler actually helps warm the fluid under these conditions. It is critical in extreme cold conditions to use the original equipment cooler in series with the auxiliary cooler and allow the vehicle to warm up before driving.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Since you'll experience cold winters, try to get a cooler with a built in by-pass. That way it will bypass the transmission cooler if the fluid is too cold.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Benefits of a tranny cooler?
You definitely want to get one of these for each of your trannys.

If your trannys get too hot, one of the other local pimps is likely to bust a cap in your arse, because you are hurting their business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts