Isuzu SUV Forum banner

bek's 2001 Rodeo Sport (Ironman package)

7K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  bek 
#1 ·
Hi, guys. My name is Brian and I am originally from West Virginia. I went to college in Kentucky and ended up staying here, although I lived in South Carolina for a while. I've owned several motorcycles and a couple of convertibles and knew I loved them, but something was missing. I think I found whatever it is in this little truck. I am relocating in a few years to Uruguay, and I think I may transport this little guy with me, if the love affair holds up. I am even thinking about driving it down there, although I understand the Darien Gap jungle is a problem.

I haven't made any mods yet, although I hope to get it lifted before too long. I plan on doing some really little things soon, like finding a tire lock and cover, and replacing my factory chrome decals that are all gross looking after 10+ years. And the top needs replacing, but it's functional for now. Overall, it looks very nice... I think someone took care of it.

Here are a few pictures:

Driving it back from Ohio, the day I bought it. This is my favorite shot of it... something about that rear view. I think I might try to paint the step bars. They are washed out or something. Too white for me.

7-11-2011 Edit:

I just got my lift done, new 265/75-16 tires, and window tint. I am not really happy with the looks of the tires, but I was on a budget. What do you guys think?

All the pictures below are BEFORE the lift and new tires:

It looks a little stubby to me from the side, but I don't mind:

I like this shot a lot. The guy I bought it from said the tires were nasty looking, so he painted them. Looks like he did a fairly good job. Although I've never been partial to black rims, they are growing on me.

A rare shot with the top actually on. I just don't like the look with the top on, although this one doesn't look too bad. I also want a grille guard for the front, but I'm afraid the Ironman package might have hosed me. I tried one recently and it did not fit, because of the moulded bull guard looking bars on the front.

I did (probably foolishly) install a nice receiver and small sub in my soft top. I can't help it... I love my music. :)

Factory (now in storage):

My new Pioneer 4300DVD:

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice Rodeo! The wheels do look good in black. Cant wait to see what you have planned for it. These trucks are easy to work on.

#4 ·
Hi Brian, and any else who may be able to help

I recently purchased a 2001 Rodeo Sport Iron Man Edition, and I am looking to install a suspension lift.
That said, you mentioned that your truck has an 3" OME lift, but when I look on the OME site, they list only a 1.25" lift (which would also be fine)
As such, I am told that the rear shocks on the Iron Man are longer than on a stock Rodeo Sport, so I am having a hard time finding the correct shocks for my truck, lifted.
Additionally, I spoke with the Tech guys at both OME and ARB this afternoon, and have since come up with nada.
Perhaps you, or another member, may have the answer ?
Let me know, when you get a moment.

Thanks

#5 ·
Hey, this is a blast from the past! I traded in my RS earlier this year. It really was a great little truck, but I am spoiled and wanted a fancy ride. You really just could not beat it for the money, though... I halfway regret my decision.

I am sorry to say I don't remember where I bought the lift, but it was a highly recommended online store. I heard about it right here on Planet Isuzoo. I am sure there are multiple threads talking about the lifts you can get. Funny you brought this up... I went to several local shops before I bought my lift, and they all said, "They don't make a lift for your truck." Ha. Shows how little those guys know. Sorry I can't give you a definite answer, but a few searches on here will reveal the web site, I am positive. If I heard the name, I think I would recognize it. It was one of those sites that does a lot of aftermarket work for Isuzu and everyone here loved them.

#6 ·
I take that last post back... I think I got your info. Check out this thread where we talk a lot about the lift:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53214

Looks like I got the OME 912 package. I *think* I got them from here:

Independent4x
804-550-0480

I know they sold them, but the product page is gone now. Might still sell them. According to that thread, Rocky Road sells them also.

Make sure to read that thread, as people go into a lot of detail about the amount of lift you will get and so on.

Good luck, and enjoy your new lift.

#7 ·
Looks like I misspoke. After skimming the thread, I apparently bought from Sierra Expeditions. I had to read my own words to know... lol:

"I ended up ordering from Sierra Expeditions. They price was about the same as RR (cheaper than Indy4x), and they were the nicest of the 3 places. The coils have already been shipped and I have the tracking number. Really couldn't be happier at this point with them."

#9 ·
Yeah, I think so... my memory is about gone, but that thread tells about everything. I do remember the shocks felt like hell and I had to replace them. I don't remember what I replaced them with, but there is probably a thread on here about that, too. I got pretty some high-end gas shocks. It never quite rode right again, though. After you get your lift, I'd suggest taking them to a local installer and let them check it out and see what fits.

#10 ·
Cool.
I am actually leaning toward an OME 1.25" lift, which should allow me to stuff a 265/75R16 tire under it.
That said, I am building the "Amigo" for the beach, so I'm not looking to do anything extreme, and hopefully with the smaller lift, the ride won't suffer, as the truck currently rides extremely well.
Again, thanks for your reply. Big help !

#11 ·
Be careful and good luck! 265/75R16 was tough for me with the 3" lift. It fit fine, but occasionally would scrub the tire just a little when the wheel was turned all the way left or right (extreme curves).

#12 ·
You got her lookin great. May have to trim lower back front fenders a 1" off the corner for no rubbing. :D

#13 ·
totten said:
You got her lookin great. May have to trim lower back front fenders a 1" off the corner for no rubbing. :D
Thanks, totten. It was the front fender that rubbed, but it wasn't bad. I traded it in on a Cadillac SRX last summer. Sort of regret it. Maybe I'll get another one!

#15 ·
I also have a 2001 rodeo sport (4cyl) Ironman edition. I recently bought a set of rough country 265\75s and I want to give it at least 3 inches of suspension lift. whats the cheapest route? coil spacers or longer coils? are aftermarket shocks required ?

#16 ·
Sadly, I traded the RS in on a vehicle a few years ago. Got lowballed, too. It ran like a top. Wish I'd kept it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.