Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traveled to Houston over the weekend, and had a chance to eat at Rudy's Country Store in Spring, TX. VERY good. Moist brisket..... YOWZA :shock:

The trip got me thinking.

I travel to Memphis several times a year for business, and have hit all the famous establishments:

Corky's
The Rendezvous
Interstate
Neely's

And, my favorite....

The Germantown Commisary

For Westy's like me, we just don't understand that BBQ is practically a religion for those in TN and the rest of the South.

What are your faves?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
My all time favorite is a place over in Seal Beach, Ca call Beachwood BBQ. He has a really good selection. We make a point to go there anytime we are in Southern Cali!

I always try to find the local BBQ wherever I'm at . Some are good, many have been not so good......A place here in Valdosta called Bemis BBQ is really good. I got a smoked Turkey from them last Thanksgiving. It was scrumdillyicious! You can't beat good barbeque.

·
Registered
556 Posts
1. Antleys/Dukes (two places in Orangeburg)
2. Palmetto Pig (In Columbia use BBQ from Orangeburg)
3. Shealys (Batesburg-Leesville)
4. Hudsons (Columbia, good with a huge buffett)

These are really good if you're ever in central S.C. and looking for some BBQ. Pulled pork, fried chicked and country veggies. I grew up eating the first two Antleys/Dukes. Two different places but started off together. Damn, I'm gonna have to go get BBQ now. Wonder what time they open?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse FTW!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I've eaten a lot of good BBQ all over in my travels. But this place right down the street from work is awesome. I get the pulled turkey or brisket from time to time. The owner used to be a Baltimore Colt way back when. There is alway a line out the door on pretty days.
http://www.andynelsonsbbq.com/

You gotta love their motto "Hogs smell better barbequed"!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I grew up in South Carolina and our BBQ was yellow, hot as hell and absolutely delicious. My favorite singular establishment and I dont know if its there anymore is/was, Old South Barbeque off of the interstate going through Valdosta GA.

BBQ tips

#1: The uglier the building, the better the barbeque.
#2: If you nearly fall on the floor when you walk in on account of all the grease, you're in for good eatin.
#3: If the parking lot is full of old beat up trucks, you've found a good spot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
squatch said:
I've eaten a lot of good BBQ all over in my travels. But this place right down the street from work is awesome. I get the pulled turkey or brisket from time to time. The owner used to be a Baltimore Colt way back when. There is alway a line out the door on pretty days.

Is this a sit down restaurant? It's only about 45 min. from me. I would love to eat here some time! :D

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
stusvend said:
I grew up in South Carolina and our BBQ was yellow, hot as hell and absolutely delicious. My favorite singular establishment and I dont know if its there anymore is/was, Old South Barbeque off of the interstate going through Valdosta GA.

BBQ tips

#1: The uglier the building, the better the barbeque.
#2: If you nearly fall on the floor when you walk in on account of all the grease, you're in for good eatin.
#3: If the parking lot is full of old beat up trucks, you've found a good spot.
I have also heard that if the parking lot is full of cops then it's a good spot.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Bullitt930 said:
squatch said:

Is this a sit down restaurant? It's only about 45 min. from me. I would love to eat here some time! :D
Sort of a carryout with some places to sit, In warm weather they have an old gas station next door that they open up front and back doors. It's full of picnic tables. This is Red style "Bama BBQ! Not the mustard based Carolina style.

Daggoneit. Now I'm going to have to go there for lunch this week!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Funny that you ask. I meandered over to "general chit chat" to post about BBQ and this was the third from the top.

I was going to ask if anyone was going to Memphis in May's BBQFEST???

I'll be heading over tomorrow for Saturday's competition. Three years ago we got 20th in the world. So go ahead and put Pits & Ash World Championship BBQ on your loyalty list. You can try it Saturday at noonish or 1ish at wherever they found dry ground and relocated to.

So anyone ever been before or been a part of a BBQ team? If anyone plans on going, PM me and we'll hook you up with BBQ and beer (maybe some good ol East TN 'water')

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
N law said:
Funny that you ask. I meandered over to "general chit chat" to post about BBQ and this was the third from the top.

I'll be heading over tomorrow for Saturday's competition. Three years ago we got 20th in the world. So go ahead and put Pits & Ash World Championship BBQ on your loyalty list. You can try it Saturday at noonish or 1ish at wherever they found dry ground and relocated to.

So anyone ever been before or been a part of a BBQ team? If anyone plans on going, PM me and we'll hook you up with BBQ and beer (maybe some good ol East TN 'water')
Sweet! I work with a fellow who has done a few competition. The stuff he brings to work is out of this world. NO resturant can compare to custom home made BBQ! I'd probably eat myself to death at one of those. Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I'm quite proud of a few of the things that I've prepared over the years, but for impartiality's sake, if I recuse myself from my own list...

#1: Anything from Bansil's Grill - Mountain City, TN
#2: Quarterback's Barbeque - Hampton, TN

...and I very much look forward to sampling something from Pits & Ash BBQ, perhaps at the upcoming HALLOwharrie, maybe (??) -- definitely put me down for a taste of that 'water,' for sure; especially if it's some more of that 'dirty water'! ;)

Good luck in the competition, Brother! --- Bring home the Gold! 8)

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
N law said:
So I guess they didnt cancel on account of the flooding? That's good. Hope you win. Feel free to air mail me some samples. :D

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,874 Posts
Tatohead said:
I travel to Memphis several times a year for business, and have hit all the famous establishments:

Corky's
The Rendezvous
Interstate
Neely's

And, my favorite....

The Germantown Commisary
I've never had good food or good service at the Commissary, although I've had EXCELLENT catered BBQ from there. The last time I ate in their restaurant, my food was cold and they seated me so that a server bumped my chair every time she plowed through. I decided to never go back.

I love Corky's for ribs, and Interstate for pulled pork.

Brisket is brisket, but BBQ is pork. :lol:
stusvend said:
N law said:
So I guess they didnt cancel on account of the flooding? That's good. Hope you win. Feel free to air mail me some samples. :D
They simply moved it away from the river.

This, like all media coverage, is designed to sell ads, so they show the worst of it. 99% of Memphis is unaffected by the flooding.

Jack

·
Registered
485 Posts
Roland's BBQ at Higdon Ferry Road and Alpine St. in Hot Springs, AR. Almost directly across from the main entrance to the race track.

Hot Springs has two other BBQ places that are more famous (McClard's and Stuby's, spicy and sweet respectively), but I've had most of what's in town and Roland's is the best. Their sauce, potato salad, cold slaw and other sides are made on site from scratch and Mr Roland know's when we are having a family gathering because my wife is in to buy a pan of the potato salad.

If you are ever in Hot Springs, that's the BBQ to have.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
We officially made 4th from last.... It was a rough weekend. Started out with too much "dirty water" and I think I sprained my wrist somehow. Our BBQ sucked. It was very tough. The guy who headed up this years cooking admitted afterwards that he didn't know what he was doing. Oh well... it was fun!

Yeah, they moved it to a much better location since the original park was under water. We saw no negative effects of the floods first hand.

Since I don't have a bug to tow over to Hallowharrie this fall.... I might drag the smoker over! We shall see

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.