Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of rust on my truck. the front most and rearmost of the frame are my concern areas. Is it worth it to try to repair this rust? I am not looking for a resto project with this truck. I can weld, but i do not have the resources to remove the body from the frame for restoration. I am getting really worried that my amigo is going to fall apart.

Has anyone approached structural frame rust without completely removing the body? I would not be opposed to lifting the body a bit to gain access. Any advice on that approach would be great.

I recently tried a product by SEM called Rust Seal. It seems to work well. Maybe i'll use this on the lightly rusted areas. It's costs about it's weight in gold!

:( :(

·
Registered
677 Posts
You're the only one who can answer this question. Do you love your rig enough to put whatever is needed into it to keep it alive, just like you would for any other family member?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That brings up another problem. I have to consider another family member. My wife is pregnant with my first child. The rig has to be safe. It is quite a dilemma

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
cough 4x4 Rodeo /cough

Battling Isuzu rust....

It is a battle no one can win. But I feel your pain sir.

A moment of silence.

:(

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
SSM200 said:
That brings up another problem. I have to consider another family member. My wife is pregnant with my first child. The rig has to be safe. It is quite a dilemma
Johnnie59 took the words right out of my mouth.

Only you can answer the question: "Is it worth it"?

What are your options ?

What are your obligations ?

What are your abilities ?

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
How about you snap a pic of the rust so we have a better idea of what your dealing with. Maybe it can be saved fairly easily

·
Registered
555 Posts
RamAirZ said:
How about you snap a pic of the rust so we have a better idea of what your dealing with. Maybe it can be saved fairly easily
It depends on how bad it is. First,you will never win. You cant really undo the damage and you cant even really stop it without massive effort. Mine had a few pretty bad spots,but I have them fixed now. When I cut out the bad pieces there was solid metal beyond them. I was lucky. the problem is on many vehicles,once you see spots starting to go through, the rest of the frame is very thin and structurally unsound. If your frame has spots that are really bad but the rest is ok,then it can be patched and you can get some more life out of it. Eventually though,especially since you cant stop the rust ,just slow it down,it will rust out again.

What I did was cut out the bad parts. I then smacked the frame with a hammer that knocked loose all the scale inside and I blew it out with compressed air. I then sprayed the inside with a rust resistant primer and paint. That was not nearly as slick of an idea as I initially though,it got everywhere,and was a mess. I managed to get a reasonable coating on it so it should slow things down a bit. I only did the areas I could access through the holes cut in the frame as those were the worst off anyway.

Safety is the real question though. The standard for a bad,unsafe frame is that there is perforation through the metal. You have to judge this for yourself,but a frame with no perforations considered to pass the safety inspection. I would say,if your frame is paper thin,then its not good and I wouldn't drive it. If its that thin though you probably will keep finding other holes as you work and you wont have anything solid to weld patches too. It will be obvious real fast if its to bad to fix. Essentially,if you cut out the bad sections and there's solid metal there and careful inspection finds no new holes,your probably ok. If you keep playing "whack a mole" with holes in your frame,its not going to work.

In short,assess how bad the damage is,and if the affected sections are localized to one or two areas. If it is,it can be patched and you get a little more life out of it. If not its hopeless without replacing the whole frame with one from a hot dry region. those frames are pristine. Don't even try using one from a snow belt state,its to much work and just gets you back to where you started with a rusty frame.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I think that is what I was trying to get at by asking for pics :lol: If it's a section at the front of the frame and it's not horrible, sometimes you can save the area, cut/patch it without removing the body (depending on where it is at). My main reason for asking is some people's "horrible rust" is someone elses easy fix. I've had people tell me something is rusted out and it turns out to be bad surface rust that some ospho and POR15 can take care of.

·
Registered
555 Posts
RamAirZ said:
I think that is what I was trying to get at by asking for pics :lol: If it's a section at the front of the frame and it's not horrible, sometimes you can save the area, cut/patch it without removing the body (depending on where it is at). My main reason for asking is some people's "horrible rust" is someone elses easy fix. I've had people tell me something is rusted out and it turns out to be bad surface rust that some ospho and POR15 can take care of.
And of course,be carefull not to set your truck on fire when welding.I ended up setting the undercoating on fire and also setting a plastic clip on fire and melting the rubber bushing that hte body rests on. :lol: Didnt cause any real damage as I put it out immediately but it scare the hell out of me when I noticed the undercoating was on fire,and certainly made my neighbors aware of my ability to swear like a sailor.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
mallen said:
RamAirZ said:
And of course,be carefull not to set your truck on fire when welding.I ended up setting the undercoating on fire and also setting a plastic clip on fire and melting the rubber bushing that hte body rests on. :lol: Didnt cause any real damage as I put it out immediately but it scare the hell out of me when I noticed the undercoating was on fire,and certainly made my neighbors aware of my ability to swear like a sailor.
Also be careful not to set your grass on fire if your welding near it :lol: Was sitting there welding and started smelling something burning, turn around and my grass was burning haha

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THanks for all the help, guys. I think it is bad enough to discontinue modification. The front two body mounts are about gone from the frame and the rear intermediate mounts are gone from the body. I think i can get a while out of it, but the demise of my truck is inevitable. I wish i didn't get so attached to my vehicles. RamAirZ, you could probably teach me a thing or two in that department. ha ha. new vehicle every 6 months

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
hey, all made me money, worth it!

·
Registered
827 Posts
I attacked what we thought was a small rust hole yesterday :shock:

Thankfully the rest of the car is fine..phewwwww

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow, drift, i have one of those on each side. I'll try to get some pics up, but a lot of it is hidden by the bumper, skidplate, etc. I wish my rust holes were that small... :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
im a newby but where im living in cape breaton ns (next to the salt water with maby 100 sunny days a year and salt on the roads 5 months of the year ) i see people patching frames on stuff only 5 years old . its next to impossible to buy anything thats not rusted . wich brings me to this i just bought a trooper 95 to be exact . came frome pa a few years ago body pannels are a1 . frame is shot i bought it knowing the frame was rusty nothing abnormal about that around here . took it home took an ocilating scraper to it . just to get rid of the scales . when i got to the front partwhere it rises up to a mount i poked a hole in it . that being done i took it to the woods for a stress test lol. held the way she was . drove 400 km back to where i live had a 1/8 thick patch over it good as new now lol . to slow the problem down till i can find a frame i used rocker guard on the whole frame . took the bumpers off and evrything im guessing it will last about 2 years now and thats all i need to get my moneys worth out of it or have a frame put under it

·
Registered
555 Posts
ironik said:
im a newby but where im living in cape breaton ns (next to the salt water with maby 100 sunny days a year and salt on the roads 5 months of the year ) i see people patching frames on stuff only 5 years old . its next to impossible to buy anything thats not rusted . wich brings me to this i just bought a trooper 95 to be exact . came frome pa a few years ago body pannels are a1 . frame is shot i bought it knowing the frame was rusty nothing abnormal about that around here . took it home took an ocilating scraper to it . just to get rid of the scales . when i got to the front partwhere it rises up to a mount i poked a hole in it . that being done i took it to the woods for a stress test lol. held the way she was . drove 400 km back to where i live had a 1/8 thick patch over it good as new now lol . to slow the problem down till i can find a frame i used rocker guard on the whole frame . took the bumpers off and evrything im guessing it will last about 2 years now and thats all i need to get my moneys worth out of it or have a frame put under it
I have a rock hammer. I figured out a good way to figure out if the metal is good. I use the sharp end to tap firmly along the frame. Good metal will sound solid,on thin metal it will dent or even punch a hole through it. Don't wail on it mind you. Just tap firmly. Use some common sense,you don't want to make dents in good metal. I went over my whole frame like that and found two small sections I thought were good that are actually bad so I have a little more welding to do. Its sort of like when the dentist prods around on spots on your teeth looking for cavities.

The only problem is a seller probably wont let a prospective buyer do that to their truck. :lol:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ive started with the Por-15

Its evil stuff on your skin, scrubbed my arms raw getting it off :oops:

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
LOL ya it sucks. I really like Master Series, it's easier to put on, didn't have tooo hard of a time getting it off with some laquer thinner and a rag plus it's cheaper.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks guys for these posts! I am finally getting around to swapping the engine into the 94 RS. As I digging in, I have found some rust. I used a screwdriver and began methodically poking the frame firmly. I have found that the undercoating flakes off, and that the frame underneath is solid with no areas of thin or rusted through metal. What are the opinions for treatment? I was thinking wire wheel, then primer and POR 15 or a rust inhibitor of some sort. What about bed liner? What about primer and Rustoleum? Thanks for the input guys....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts