Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to remove te axels from a 1998 rodeo .The inside of the differential does not look anything like that on the picture in the manual .(Cant remove the pin , no C-clip )

Any help would be good please .

Thank you Norbert

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
What manual are you looking at?

There is no c-clip on your axle. There are four bolts behind the brake rotor that hold in the axle shafts. Thats all.

HIH,
Andre

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
To remove the axle you will need to:

Drain the fliud
Remove the tires
Remove the calipers and tie the up and out of the way.
Remove and set aside the rotors
Now there are 4 17mm nuts ont he back side of the dust shield remove them
Now you will probably need an axle puller from a parts store it slides over the lug nuts and you have a slide hammer to pop the axle out.

It will come right out with the slide hammer type puller. You can rent them from Autozone or Advance auto. They'll give your money back when you return it.

Joe

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Haynes Repair Manual
My Haynes Manual, covering 89-97, has the info for both the D44 and 10-bolt axle. The 10-bolt is c-clip if I recall. I wouldn't think the manual for the 98+ would have that, since I don't recall anything other than a D44 being available :?

What engine do you have?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Andre the manual for the 98+ has info for 91-02 or something like that. It's trying to cover so many different models it's confusing.

I have the same manual.

But I also have a copy of a factory cd for a 2000 Rodeo, so that helps.

Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Starchild said:
Haynes Repair Manual
My Haynes Manual, covering 89-97, has the info for both the D44 and 10-bolt axle. The 10-bolt is c-clip if I recall. I wouldn't think the manual for the 98+ would have that, since I don't recall anything other than a D44 being available :?

What engine do you have?
I have the same manual as joe does , isuzu rodeo & amigo plus Honda passport 1989 thru 2002 . The engine is 3.2 v6 with auto trany :( .

·
Registered
2 Posts
:?: Ok, pardon my ignorance most of my experience is with 3/4ton diesels. Doing my sis a favor found axle leak on the rear of her Passport.

Seems there is confusion as to the equipment back there. My axle looks like a Dana unit (rear cover/shape of housing), it's not a third member setup, but does have drums on the ends. I looked for C-clips, drilled out the d&*^ rolled pin to slide the spider gear shaft (which interferes with the RING gear!) I removed the drum, loosened the 4x17mm nuts on the backing plate and pulled and heaved slightly to see if it appeared to retain the axle and it did not appear that way.

SO, now what? :? I can hardly believe that the flimsy backing plate along with assistance from the outer bearing can maintain and retain the axle with wheel/tire assembly during lateral acceleration and hard cornering. Thanks for your expertise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.