Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THe heading just about says it all: I am trying to find out what the differential / axle ratio was for a 2001 Rodeo Sport with 4wd and a v6. The option codes read: DH6, C60, G80, 7LK, NB7 incase the ratio is burried in a code. From what I remember, the G80 code was for limited slip (atleast back in the early '90s builds). I considered buying the rear axle asm and welding on leaf spring perches to mount in my '92 but the axle housing got tweeked in the roll over accident. Some one near me is parting out the Rodeo Sport and I am interested in buying the front diff if it has the needed ratio. Currently my Amigo sports a 4.556 front and a 4.10 rear - not the best unless the roads are completely snow covered.

FWIW, this is a southern vehicle and after a decade of use there is no noticeable rust on the frame - very different from what the typical 10 year old frame looks like in my area.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
It's going to be either 4.10 or 4.30. To my knowledge '98 and up Rodeo V6 4wd's never came with anything different.

Also Isuzu never mix-matched there gears. Whatever the front is the rear will be the same.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
G80= LSD :shock:

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
How did your front diff get changed to a 4.56? And if your rear is 4.10 then the front from the newer rodeo might work for you as they came with 4.10's and 4.30's as stated with the V6. Check the glove box and console and see if it has an RPO code list anywhere. I didn't see anything you listed for the axle ratio. S7C was 4.30 and GT5 is 4.10

http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/codes.html

Are those the only codes on the firewall plate?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My '92 has the 4.556 ratio in the front because that is what I bought and installed (in a classic case of ask the right question on the wrong forum - A decade ago I asked on the 4x4Wire forum what the ratio was in a '92 and the answer was that they all had 4.556. Which is true if the vehicle was 4wd - mine was not, I was converting it and did not want to pull the rear diff to count the teeth and did not know how to visually identify the difference between the 10 and 12 bolt corporate rear axles.) So I inadvertantly built up a mismatch and did not baby it. After 9 winter seasons (occasionaly driven on partially dry surfaces) the weakest link, being the ring gear on the rear (10 bolt) failed. There was not a 12 bolt rear axle conveniently available so I stuck in another 10 bolt and have been very carefull to only use 4wd when the surface is really slippery - problem is that a road might be snow covered and suddenly a section will be plowed. So I want to make things right.

So if the '01 has a 4.10 diff then I could swap it in place of my 4.556 front - that is ultimately what I am trying to do - or change out both the front and rear axles.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
aribert said:
My '92 has the 4.556 ratio in the front because that is what I bought and installed (in a classic case of ask the right question on the wrong forum - A decade ago I asked on the 4x4Wire forum what the ratio was in a '92 and the answer was that they all had 4.556. Which is true if the vehicle was 4wd - mine was not, I was converting it and did not want to pull the rear diff to count the teeth and did not know how to visually identify the difference between the 10 and 12 bolt corporate rear axles.) So I inadvertantly built up a mismatch and did not baby it. After 9 winter seasons (occasionaly driven on partially dry surfaces) the weakest link, being the ring gear on the rear (10 bolt) failed. There was not a 12 bolt rear axle conveniently available so I stuck in another 10 bolt and have been very carefull to only use 4wd when the surface is really slippery - problem is that a road might be snow covered and suddenly a section will be plowed. So I want to make things right.

So if the '01 has a 4.10 diff then I could swap it in place of my 4.556 front - that is ultimately what I am trying to do - or change out both the front and rear axles.
You could swap in a Dana 44 from a later Rodeo as well instead of going with an Isuzu 12bolt, your running the little GM 10-bolt right now. Hopefully it's the right front diff for ya.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THat was my intent - I was going to buy both the front diff and rear axle and weld leaf spring perches on the rear axle (w G80 code). But I was told by the seller that the rear axle housing was damaged (I did not crawl under it to confirm - I was on my lunch break and was not appropriately attired to crawl under it).

Reactions: superswire

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
well that stinks, have you checked your yards?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Rodeo sports with v6 auto 4.10
With v6 5spd 4.30
With 4 cyl 4.77's

This what I have seen and have in our yard :roll:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Most Dana 44's have a tag under one of the rear cover bolts that gives the ratio & LSD or not. Get dressed properly, crawl under & have a look, the front ratio will match whatever the tag says the rear has.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I found out that at our local pull and pay yard you have to get to a rodeo pretty early. Last time I went ALL the rodeos had the rear axle torn apart and R&P gears gone.

I agree with what Bansil said, those are the combos I have seen as well for 2nd gen.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I did a little research.... came up with some good results.. D44 isuzu rearends have the extra thick cut ring gear,makes it hard to find aftermarket gears for them rare as you would say. The newer jeep xj's bad taste in my mouth lol they are the same size. Pinion and ringgear. THey are called super 44 gears. Knowing this you have the potential to set up almost any ratio you desire. Works especialy good when you have a solid front axle. I think the isuzu rear axle is one tough sob as big as a ford 9 in' but sadly you cant get alot of ratio's for it. The lower gears for the front isuzu's come from the early 2.6's and such like 4:56's. Most rear axles have a tag identifying the ratio's of the rearend's atleast on the 44's....All that said the only difference on the jeep gear sets is the spline's on the pinions, but a yoke is easy to come by. I also have heard that the new nissan trucks have the same 44's in them with like 4:77's gears not sure a bit more research would figure that out. 8) :?: :idea:

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Another thing i noticed is an aouto 99 amigo has 4:10's .My manual 00 came with the 4:30's . I think the 2.6 auto 92 amigo a bought long ago had 4:77's and My 91 4x manual had the 4:56's ... I went with the 4:10's with my solid axle easyer to match with spicer one of the most common and strong..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just a follow-up

oldestisuzuist: I went back and you were correct about the rear axle having a tag (actually 2 tags - the second tag was for limited slip)

bradzuzu
: to follow up on your observation, this 01 Rodeo Sport w/ auto also had the 4.10 axle ratio

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
bradzuzu said:
Another thing i noticed is an aouto 99 amigo has 4:10's .My manual 00 came with the 4:30's . I think the 2.6 auto 92 amigo a bought long ago had 4:77's and My 91 4x manual had the 4:56's ... I went with the 4:10's with my solid axle easyer to match with spicer one of the most common and strong..
The 92 you had probably had 4.56, if it had 4.77 someone swapped them in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm having to find out the gear ratio of my '93 Rodeo. I'm in Labrador, Canada and need an output shaft (stub axle?) for my front differential. It's worn out to where my front driver's side axle shaft will not stay connected. My father-in-law in South Dakota found a Rodeo and they told him they need to know my gear ratio. Is that found on the door tag. Above someone said it's either a 4.10 or 4.30. Is that right?

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Your gear ratio doesn't matter for the axle shaft or CV shaft, they are the same no matter what

·
Registered
113 Posts
I went to Independent4X and all I see is, as you say, gear sets. I need the actual output shaft that comes out of the front differential.
I'm not sure what gear ratio's we're talking about. Is there axle shaft you're referring to the same one I am?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.