Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, New guy here who's been lurking around some. I'd like to install some larger tires on my Axiom, which is stock right down to the original tires on 17" wheels. I'd like a good all season tire that has an aggressive tread on it, actually I'd like four of them. There are currently Goodyear 235/65-17s on there. They are pretty narrow for my liking. I'd really like to increase the footprint and am wondering what will fit in my fenders without causing driveability issues. I like the off road style tires as long as they aren't totally noisy and fast wearing. I see alot of BF Goodrich all terrain TAs around. How do these hold up? How do I convert from one tire measuring system to another (My last Isuzu truck had 31x10.5 R 15) What are a few really popular tires for the Rodeo? I imagine they would pretty much work the same on an Axoim. Thanks, TOD

·
Registered
254 Posts
A tire I would suggest is the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. I have heard alot of good comments on them being a great all around tire.

As for size, I don't know how big you can go on a stock Axiom without any lift or modifications. Maybe a 245?

The BFG's you speak of are a fairly noisy tread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you mean these? http://www.4x4review.com/products/tires/Bridgestone-Dueler-AT-Revo-specs.asp
Nice tire but the only 17 is a P265/70R17.. that's a school bus tire! I'd like to have a shorter sidewall. If I could have my way I'd put on a set of Mickey Thompsons for their looks but I'm sure that wouldn't be a practical tire for my uses.
I need something that will handle gravel and dirt roads, boat landings, snow and more snow, and most of all the highway.

Thanks for the tip on BFGs. TOD

·
Registered
41 Posts
go to like your local Sam's Club or Tire store and ask for a book with sizes for your tires on your axiom. track down the highest measurement you can put on it in size. then, go up 2 sizes.

that's how you do it. the book isn't always truthful. i found out in the book, the highest capacity i could put in my trooper was a 255/65/16. and i recently got word from a variety of sources that i can place up to 285/70/16 without any modifications.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found I can get Yoko Geolanders for it in a 245/65/17. These work out to 30 x 9.65 r17. My stocker's are 29 x 9.25 r17. So I'd be picking up an inch of height, a half inch of width and some macho tread. Theoretically of course.

I could also do a Yoko AVS S/T at 265/60/17 but that's two inches wider than stock and 600 bucks, ouch! I'm afraid they'd be a little too wide.

Cool tire size calculator at http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

G

·
Hey bro...
Believe me i'm up for bigger and badder tires like the rest of us... But there are other issues you have to address when upgrading... The tires that your looking for should fit in to your applications... Going up above to 2 sizes can be done. But your mileage on your odometer will increase also... with that being said you have to mod your chip to adapt with the spin increase of your tires unless you don't care about the resale of your car. Another thing, your tires will get noisy no matter what you do. Tires will drone louder once you go beyond 15% of your tread(aka. the honeymoon period of your new rubbers). And when you get bigger tires more torque is needed to run them as you would with normal tires. which means loss of horsepower. Now you gotta put in an intake and an exhaust in which ironically enough you have to mod your chip to get the best performance out of your exhaust and intake...(i'm not sounding very fun right now aren't I)
What i would do is(without heavy modification):

1. Go one size above recommendations( with an all terrain. Geolander and bridgstone are good brands... me, i bleed american, Goodyear at's are the tire in which i think have the best tread life in my opinion. But that also depends on the size of your rig...

2. Go two or three sizes bigger than specs...Check clearances... Check clearances...check clearances... This is crucial...YOU DO NOT WANT TO PURCHASE NEW TIRES AND POP THEM BECAUSE YOU WHERE TRYING TO MAKE A U-TURN(I know from past experiences.) Also when you do this search for rims. I like isuzu but the steel rims with heavy its heavy weight, rob the power the truck could use to to give you the extra mileage or umph needed to get you out of a tight spot.

Remember, if your doing some heavy offroad applications... get mud terrains instead of all terrains, that and light rims with a slight off set... your car will just about never get stuck unless you want it to...

Geolanders Rock...

·
Registered
55 Posts
what about swaping off the 17" wheels and going with some 15's or 16's? then you maybe have more options! on my jeep i have some 35" BFG krawlers and i love them. but on the trooper i will have 33x12.5x15 Cooper discover Mt's. there pretty decent as well. i also had a set of 31" dueller's but htey were the MT's.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
as far as i am concerned you're a fool if you buy anything other than BF all terrains (or mud terrains if it is only for off road)

·
Registered
254 Posts
plaza500 said:
as far as i am concerned you're a fool if you buy anything other than BF all terrains (or mud terrains if it is only for off road)
Don't be so narrow minded.

One tire is not perfect for everybody's needs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just put a set of the Yokohama Geolander AT II's on my Rodeo and so far they are great! Cheaper than the BFG's and rated just about the same on tirerack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
lividmind said:
But your mileage on your odometer will increase also... with that being said you have to mod your chip to adapt with the spin increase of your tires unless you don't care about the resale of your car.
I think you have that backwards. You odometer would actually log too few miles which would be beneficial for resale!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts