Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Compared to that thing my 95 Trooper is space age, after all it has multiport fuel injection run by a computer, with ABS and air bag control modules also. But compared to my 08 RAV4 the Trooper is stone age electronically. And 2012 cars, of which we have a few at work, have twice the electronic doo-dads that my RAV4 has. Sheesh.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Awesome article, just as you said.
"Do you remember when you were a kid (perhaps you still are at heart) and constantly wondered how things worked? It's always been a bother to me if I can't figure out how something works. 'That's just how it works' never settled it for me"
I was hooked from that point on.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was my favorite part, "Plus, you just can't really wear a Pith Helmet around town in a new Rangie can you?". My wife always makes fun of me because I want a pith helmet. :)

Bart

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I read that a couple of days ago. Nice write up. My thoughts also. Our 1st gens are close to that ideal with a few comforts over an old Landy. When I had my 1st new one people used to ask me why I bought it. I told them because International doesn't make new Scouts anymore! in reality S model 1st gen were fairly spartan in '88.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
This was my favorite part, "Plus, you just can't really wear a Pith Helmet around town in a new Rangie can you?". My wife always makes fun of me because I want a pith helmet. :)

Bart
That's funny...I still have a pith helmet laying around somewhere, given me by my step-grandfather. That thing was good for hours upon hours of jokes.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
What a great take on old vs new.

My love for the 1st gen trooper is what he said but with a few more modern conveniences of modern technology such as fuel injection and computer control that DOESN'T have government "monitors" that get in the way of diagnosing and upgrading our rigs. I love those old rovers. I think they are what 4x4 expedition is all about. Even a trip to the supermarket with the kids would be an expedition. That truck would certainly turn some heads around my neck of the woods! LOL

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
caveman said:
What a great take on old vs new.

My love for the 1st gen trooper is what he said but with a few more modern conveniences of modern technology such as fuel injection and computer control that DOESN'T have government "monitors" that get in the way of diagnosing and upgrading our rigs. I love those old rovers. I think they are what 4x4 expedition is all about. Even a trip to the supermarket with the kids would be an expedition. That truck would certainly turn some heads around my neck of the woods! LOL
There's at least one guy here in Reno with an old Rover like that one, not in nearly the shape, but still cool. If I was single, and a little more wealthy, I would probably sell everything I own and travel in my Trooper for about 20 years. Just seems like a better way to live than sitting in a cube day in and day out...

Bart

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
just 4 fuses. i love that. my 2005 Land Rover has 76 of them!!! we've had it for 6 years and fortunately haven't had any problems with it, yet. but, it only has 14,700 miles.
now, if you want to talk about simple, my old 1961 VW panel van was my favorite vehicle i've ever owned. but then again, i was a young 21 year old surfer/hippy dude back then, and the girls loved VW vans. anyway, that van had only a speedo with 2 dummy lights in it as well as the turn signal blinker light. there was one pull switch for the lights and one pull switch for the wipers. a turn signal handle was there also. and that's it. not even a fuel gauge. no door window cranks either. simple. simple. simple. if i had the rear bumper off, i could pull the engine out in less than 15 minutes. i just threw an old tire under the engine, grabbed the exhaust tips, and yanked. damn!, i wish i still had that van. for one thing, they are worth a mint now-a-days. as i said, the girls used to love it. sadly, 50 year old women wouldn't care for it now!!

cheers, john

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
govno90 said:
sadly, 50 year old women wouldn't care for it now!!
I wouldn't care for any woman who didn't care for my trooper.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
govno90 said:
the girls used to love it. sadly, 50 year old women wouldn't care for it now!!
start caring about 50-year old women when you turn 90.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Govno90, 14,700 miles in 6 yrs??? WOW thats impressive. My wife is a stay at home mom and still drives more than that.
I feel you on the 1961 VW panel van. I had a 71 campmobile. It was U.T orange. I sold it to pay off a debt but have missed her ever since. What I loved about that van was that it had a removeable back piece to make removing the enigine a snap. which was great because I had to remove the engine.....alot!Especially every other year in california, pull out the race inspired engine....install smog legal engine...have tested and tagged...re-install the runner for another 2 yrs. Man, I miss that van, it was the only 71 that had A/C.

Selador, you are a rock solid thinker, "I don't care for the woman that doesn't care for my trooper" is going up on the wall in my man cave! LOL

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
now those are the land rovers that I trully love!! cant beat an old rig like that...never mind i take that back my troop can :lol: jk people

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Metal88 said:
now those are the land rovers that I trully love!! cant beat an old rig like that...never mind i take that back my troop can :lol: jk people
That's how I feel. I mean, I've always loved the old Land Rovers and the Defender series. But, way to rich for my blood, and all of it can be had in a 1st gen Isuzu Trooper for a lot less, and the coolness factor is even better!

Bart

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My brother recently visited us in Idaho with his 8 and 10-year old girls. I gave them the Trooper to drive while they were here. They were absolutely amazed at the handle that you move round and round, and it made the windows go up and down!! At one point we handed them the keys and asked them to unlock the doors while we were loading the canoe gear. They came back a short time later befuddled: "It's not working!!". The older girl was pressing the Isuzu logo on the plain metal key waiting for the doors to unlock.

Has it really been so long?

Love this rover, BTW...!!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I agree and disagree with that article. I don't like things like power windows, power locks, heated seats, electronic climate control and so on in a off road rig. But EFI and multiple separated circuits is one of the best things to ever happen to cars. In that old Land Rover the fuse that powers the distributor could pop if one of the wires for the lights chafes through and that would leave you stranded even if you did have a fuse you might spend an hour trying to figure out where the short is. EFI has proven itself time and time again to go the life of the entire engine before something goes wrong. Also if a sensor fails the engine will usually go into limp mode and make it home. Plus you usually get ample warning when a sensor is on its way out anyway.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
True, I like fuel injection, it has never let me down like a carb has.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
Metal88 said:
That's how I feel. I mean, I've always loved the old Land Rovers and the Defender series. But, way to rich for my blood, and all of it can be had in a 1st gen Isuzu Trooper for a lot less, and the coolness factor is even better!

Bart
I always liked the IH Scouts over Land Rovers because of that very reason. Scouts were durable, dependable, able to go anywhere a Land Rover could go, and do it at 1/3 the price. I had a '62 with a SBC swapped into it..got 17 MPG and was a hill-climbing machine. Also had a '73 that I swapped a Chrysler 413 Max wedge and dana '60's into...I swear that thing could pull small houses from their foundation and bull it's way through timber like a dozer. Sold it to a nut from California for 3x it's value (at the time) and I wish almost daily that I had it back at twice the price I sold it.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
I share this guy's sentiment whole-heartedly, which is why I decided to cut loose of the new stuff and focus on learning the systems of the old style Troopers. Then throw a 1948 Willy's body on it and then it never goes out of style. My only concern with driving something like that Land Rover is that if the distributor crpas out on the side of the hiway I don't know if Autozone is going to have one...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts