Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the gas tank from an Isuzu pickup would fit in my 89Trooper. The frame looks identical. My dillema is, if I install a tank from a p'up what is the best way to plumb it in? On my old carburated van it was simple but w/ fuel injection the pump is in the tank. Do I use the existing pump as a transfer pump, or can I use some sort of switch -valve to switch between the tanks, or will it even work?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gary

·
Registered
108 Posts
i think you can use the same fuel pump,just do he switching behind the pump then it will draw from where you want it to.you can also have it dual feed constant if you want.some kind of petlock will work or you can get fancy with electronic stuff.make sure you use the same size lines and get the same pressure and draw from both tanks.hope this helps

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
With the 2.6, I think that the best way would be a transfer pump. The pump is in the tank on the 2.6, so you'd need a 2nd (expensive) fuel pump, and the double tube valve (supply and return) with the relay to switch pumps. With the transfer pump you can use a $10 auto parts store electric pump and a switch. Just pump from the pup tank into the stock tank when you get low. I'd probably also figure out a place for a 2nd fuel gauge (you can drill a standard size gauge hole in the dash to the left of the speedo/tach cluster).

The hard part IMHO will be the filler neck.

-Tad

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Where is the second tank going to reside, I know nothing about pups. I was thinking you could do a gravity feed and do away with the need for pumps. Is this truck lifted? I'm getting ready to do a gas tank lift on my 88 Trooper and was looking at all of the room under there thinking of second tanks and such. I don't really need a second tank, but I didn't really need to lift my trooper 6" either.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Ok so I'm assuming if the red tank is just a smidge lower than the one in the rear you could gravity feed the front tank from the rear tank and put the fuel pump in the front tank. That would solve the issue of filling separate tanks, gauge issues, pumps and swithces.

The only difficult part of this would be getting the fuel pump in the front tank, but if it's a stock tank you should be able to get a pump to fit it.

I'm sure I'm overlooking some big obstacle here but it seems very doable.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Well, you'd basically have to siphon. I wouldn't want a fuel line running under the axle. Imagine installing a tank in place of the spare tire on your Rodeo. You would be able to "join" the tanks with a hose that passes through the space that the axle occupies, but if you ran a line over top of the axle you'd have to park on a steep hill to let gravity do it's thing. I'd be perfectly happy with a $10 fuel pump mounted to the frame between the tanks. While not speedy it would be cheap and simple to plumb.

If I can find it in the garage, I'll even donate the 2nd fuel gauge (without sender, sorry).

-Tad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.