Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help guys. My 2000 trooper transmission is down. It is 4x4 with 220k. It started by jumping out of gear occasionally, if you let of the gas it would re- engage and be fine. Then it got worse, now it is slow to engage, then it will not shift from first to second, if feels like it's going into neutral. Changed fluid(that's a pain) but no improvement. My question is... is my transmission **** or are there other possible causes?

· Registered
12,708 Posts
The transmission cannot shift itself into neutral, the only way to be neutral is by manually moving the shift selector to the N position.

The 4L30e transmission installed in your truck has five friction clutch packs and a friction clamp called a brake band. These friction clutches do wear as mileage increases and will eventually wear out.

In 1st gear the brake band is applied which holds the reaction drum and attached sun gear stationary. To shift into 2nd gear, the 2nd clutch is applied. To shift into 3rd , the 3rd clutch is applied, the 2nd clutch remains applied and the brake band is released.

If it feels like a shift from 1st to neutral, it is likely the 2nd clutch is slipping so the transmission stays in 1st gear until vehicle speed is high enough that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) commands 3rd gear and the 3rd clutch applies. The 3rd clutch apply fluid is used to release the brake band so as soon as the brake band releases it feels like neutral because both the 2nd and 3rd clutches are required for the planetary gear set to produce the 3rd gear ratio.

It will cost you over 3000 bucks to have the transmission rebuilt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts