Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had an auto tranny on a 1st gen go out on them before? What are the tell-tale signs?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Those are very tough transmissions. The transmission computers were known to go out though, and the most common cause is a loose or disconnected ground to the valve cover. You should check the ground at the back of the valve cover. It should connect to the head and to the firewall and the connections should be tight.

What problems are you experiencing?

-Tad

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problems. Just general worrying. It does overshift a bit when I first get it going everyday.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
What type of auto trans is in the 1st gen rodeos and troops?
Is it a AsianWarner?? I think the 04's as well went back to
that same trans. The ones with the 3.5 DI at least.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So the 4cly got the better trans?? Is the 340 the same style that
is on the late 04's? Or is it a electronic version. I noticed that a
04' Rodeo 3.5 DI had a winter mode button. Was wondering what
trans was in there.

Also are these the same ones that were in the Toyota Supras.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The 4cyl did get a better transmission, with one exception: it had to be running to be in 4wd. This is a trivial defect but it almost smooshed me once. We were snow-wheeling and had parked on a gradual slope for lunch. I had it in 4wd and park. A few minutes after we parked the Trooper started sliding forward. I was standing in front of it. Enough of us were standing there to stop it. What had happened was that the front wheels rolled and the back ones slid. Because the engine wasn't running it wasn't in 4wd.

The 4cyl auto transfer case also sticks down a little bit more than the mau5 or 4l30E one does.

Low range is lower in them though, and they are very tough, and I'd take those two features in exchange for the slight ground clearance difference.

That transmission was used in several forms in many Toyota vehicles. The 4-runner, some Lexus SUV and the Supra. Apparently the Supra version was converted to a 5-speed by having the computer shift from 1 to 2 to 2 with OD (3rd) to 3 (4th) to 3 with OD (5th). The Isuzu goes 1,2,3,3+OD.

All versions were electronic. The Toyota ones used a mechanically shifted t-case instead of the Hydraulic one that Isuzu used. The Isuzu one was called the A340H where the H was for Hydraulic.

-Tad

·
Registered
564 Posts
I didn't think the Supras ever got the 5-speed electronics for their A340E transmissions (I had a '90 Turbo, and a friend owned a 93.5 NA), but I know for sure that the 5-speed version of the A340E (called, interestingly enough, the A350E) was installed in the Lexus GS300 (it uses the same 2JZ-GE engine in the Supra) in the mid to late '90s. The big trick with the tranny is the 3-4 shift. The transmission has to shift out of overdrive AND do the 2-3 shift at the same time. Complicated stuff.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tad said:
The 4cyl did get a better transmission, with one exception: it had to be running to be in 4wd. This is a trivial defect but it almost smooshed me once. We were snow-wheeling and had parked on a gradual slope for lunch. I had it in 4wd and park. A few minutes after we parked the Trooper started sliding forward. I was standing in front of it. Enough of us were standing there to stop it. What had happened was that the front wheels rolled and the back ones slid. Because the engine wasn't running it wasn't in 4wd.

The 4cyl auto transfer case also sticks down a little bit more than the mau5 or 4l30E one does.

Low range is lower in them though, and they are very tough, and I'd take those two features in exchange for the slight ground clearance difference.

That transmission was used in several forms in many Toyota vehicles. The 4-runner, some Lexus SUV and the Supra. Apparently the Supra version was converted to a 5-speed by having the computer shift from 1 to 2 to 2 with OD (3rd) to 3 (4th) to 3 with OD (5th). The Isuzu goes 1,2,3,3+OD.

All versions were electronic. The Toyota ones used a mechanically shifted t-case instead of the Hydraulic one that Isuzu used. The Isuzu one was called the A340H where the H was for Hydraulic.

-Tad
Wow thanks for the knowledge. I've got some more pride in my rig now. Guess I shouldn't worry to much about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.