Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, looking for anyone that has a successful automatic transmission rebuild done by a shop in northern ca and would be willing to share the details.

Unfortunately the trans in my 99 trooper totally gave up today as I described in my other thread.

I dont have a ton invested in the truck so parting out might be an option. I love the truck and pretty much everything else works but I'm not going to pay $3k or more for a rebuild. $2k or less is probably the most I would spend for a warranted repair for it to make sense.

I am in the Sf bay area but would go anywhere within about 2 hours drive for the righ shop.

Any and all advice appreciated! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI for any that end up looking for similar info, some of the better shops in the SF Bay Area per Yelp are:

Bayshore Transmissions, Burlingame - talk to Tom
They seemed to be up for swapping in a transmission in my 99 Trooper 4x4 for $500. If you wanted to source your own tranny and get it installed that might work out the cheapest. About $2250 for a full rebuild.

Coliseum Transmission, Oakland, CA - talk to Kim
Total rebuild with cooler about $2400, 3 year, 36k warranty, feedback seemed to indicate you might end up waiting longer than expected.

Mike's Transmission - Livermore, CA - talk to Mike :)
2 year, 24k warranty offered on total rebuild, $2300. Seems to know the job pretty well. Seems like there were a few really negative reviews and lot's of very positive.

I'll likely be going with Mike's due to proximity and will take my chances. I didn't check around much out in the Valley but might make a few more calls. Will keep posted on the feedback here as things progress.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts