Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 92 rodeo and it came with auto locking hubs. To get the hubs out of 4wd it says to back up a ways to disengage them. I was wondering if you remain in 4wd while you are backing up in case you get stuck and need 4wd to back up. (I am young and don't know much about vehicles)
Thanks for the help.
P.S. this is one the best sites ever.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
kwd said:
I recently bought a 92 rodeo and it came with auto locking hubs. To get the hubs out of 4wd it says to back up a ways to disengage them. I was wondering if you remain in 4wd while you are backing up in case you get stuck and need 4wd to back up. (I am young and don't know much about vehicles)
Thanks for the help.
P.S. this is one the best sites ever.
THE WAY THOSE HUBS WORK ARE BY A TORQUE REACTION OF THE FRT AXLE TURNING AGAINST THE FRICTION OF A NON TURNING WHEEL WHEN YOU ARE OFF ROAD AND PUT THE PUT THE TRUCK IN 4WD AND MOVE FORWARD ABOUT 6-8 INCHES THE HUBS WILL LOCK AND STAY LOCKED , IF YOU NOW TAKE THE LEVER AND SHIFT OUT OF 4WD IN HI RANGE YOUR FRT HUBS ARE STILL LOCKED JUST AS IN A MANUAL HUB SET , BUT IF YOU STOP AND BACK UP EVEN IN 2WD BY AS MUCH AS 6-8 INCHS AGAIN THE HUBS WILL UNLOCK AND STAY UNLOCKED UNTILL THE AXLE INTHE FRT TURNS AGAIN WHAT YOU DO NOT ANT TO TYR IS PUTTING THE TRANS IN 4WD HI RANGE WHLE MOVING AT ANY SPEED WITH THE HUBS UNLOCKED , IT WILL TEAR THE HUBS UP VERY QUICKLY IF YOU DON,T HEAR THEM RATCHING AND TRYING TO LOCK, YOU MUST BE STOPPED FOR THE HUBS TO LOCK WITH DAMAGE JERRY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.