Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I updated the topic name to just "carnage" instead of "wet weather carnage" after adding a post below with new video from a race this month. (didn't want to make a new thread)

This was a crazy race from last year in Australia's V8 Supercars race at Sydney:

I hate to say that this has become my favorite racing series. I'd love to be the NASCAR fan that I was, but they lost me some years ago. I would hope that they would look to very successful racing series (like V8SC) for inspiration to revive itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
That looks a thousand times better than NASCAR. How close are those cars to a production car. Because an original NASCAR or stock car was sweet and it gave us most of the sweet cars and motors of the 60's and 70's. Can you imagine the motors that would be available to us today if NASCAR or other big racing sactions like INDY required the motors used to be produced in at least 500 production vehicles. Politics and the Chrysler corporation killed NASCAR over 40 years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
I'm going to do it, and I'm going to get flamed. Nascar is gay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I love about V8SC. They are made from real production cars! They're the four door Ford Falcon and Holden (GM) Commodore. They have functioning doors, windshield wipers (as you can see in that clip), lights, trunk lid. It's what NASCAR should have became!

Well, if you get flamed... so do I. My whole family are die hard NASCAR fans, and if it was like the V8SC, would would be still. But they lost me with cars that are not based on actual stock models and rules that constantly change/don't make sense in their attempt to keep NASCAR going.

BTW, the Holden Commodore showed up in the states briefly. Rebadged as the Pontiac G8... A great car, and 100% aussie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
Very nice, I love production car racing as well. Check out JGTC if you haven't heard of it, great series in Japan. The SPEED Grand Touring series is pretty good as well, not as intense though. I love some racing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hatfield said:
Check out JGTC if you haven't heard of it, great series in Japan.
I was a big fan of JGTC (since renamed Super GT in 2005). But they have been making some departures from the norm to keep it going, which have been a little disappointing. Like when Nissan discontinued the R34 Skyline, JGTC let them keep it in the series because there was nothing to replace it until the 350Z came out. Same for Toyota when the Supra ended. Also Honda was doing the same with the NSX, but in '09 Super GT only allowed front engine rear wheel drive cars. So Honda now has the HSV-010 GT, a great prototype car that's allowed because it's "production-ready", even though it's not available for purchase/being produced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
Slow-migo said:
I was a big fan of JGTC (since renamed Super GT in 2005). But they have been making some departures from the norm to keep it going, which have been a little disappointing. Like when Nissan discontinued the R34 Skyline, JGTC let them keep it in the series because there was nothing to replace it until the 350Z came out. Same for Toyota when the Supra ended. Also Honda was doing the same with the NSX, but in '09 Super GT only allowed front engine rear wheel drive cars. So Honda now has the HSV-010 GT, a great prototype car that's allowed because it's "production-ready", even though it's not available for purchase/being produced.
That's right, I forgot that they changed the series up. I haven't followed it in forever since it doesn't come on tv often, but it was awesome to see all those 90's Japanese muscle cars racing around the track. Here's another great wreck, R Schumacher going airborn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
I want an Australian Ford Falcon so bad! The Holden Commodore is sweet to. The G8 is a rebadged Holden but the Holden looks way better.

NASCAR IS GAY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never been a Ford fan, but the Ford Falcon is one I would love to own (after a Holden Commodore, Sport Wagon and Ute).

Here's a good comparison from Top Gear Australia of the Ford Falcon FPV (Ford Performance Vehicles) F6 (4L V8 turbo) vs the Holden Commodore HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) Clubsport R8 (6.2L V8 LS3)

Or even better... the Holden HSV Clubsport R8 versus the "Super-Clubby" with the same 6.2L V8... Supercharged! It's got the sexiest supercharger whine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
im not a nascar fan at all. i definitely cant go into a ford dealership and ask for the fusion with the carborated v8... i love the lmp gt series racing, dont really catch it alot on tv tho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,404 Posts
justwork said:
I'm going to do it, and I'm going to get flamed. Nascar is gay.
agreed. so boring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a bad crash at the beginning of race 8 at Barbagallo this month (1 May). Karl Reindler stalls on start and gets rear-ended badly:

Also, here's follow-up showing the damage Karl's car took in this rare crash:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Slow-migo said:
I updated the topic name to just "carnage" instead of "wet weather carnage" after adding a post below with new video from a race this month. (didn't want to make a new thread)

This was a crazy race from last year in Australia's V8 Supercars race at Sydney:

I hate to say that this has become my favorite racing series. I'd love to be the NASCAR fan that I was, but they lost me some years ago. I would hope that they would look to very successful racing series (like V8SC) for inspiration to revive itself.
Hey Slo-migo, does that mean ur gonna go and and watch the V8supercars in Austin, Texas in 2013??
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top