Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I know this probably doesn't belong here, but this is the most looked at board on here.

Just got back from Pick & Pull. While I was there I spotted an old Chevy LUV with ASCO manual locking hubs. I'm not sure if anyone could use them on an old P'up or Trooper or LUV, if so, say something soon. If I had more time I would have snagged them just for the heck of it, but I can go back if someone needs them.

Bart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,996 Posts
Those are very rare, and should be acquired immediatly. If someone here doesn't pickemup, they will definetly sell on isuzupup.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, maybe I will go back tomorrow and snag them. Pick & Pull sells them for $39.99 each, so that's $80 + $2 for me to get in the place + gas to get there and time. So I figure if I sold them for $150-$125 it would be worth it. Are they worth more than that? Maybe I should snag them and throw em up on eBay. I just looked and there are NONE for the LUV on eBay, which means they are pretty rare for sure. I know how rare LUVs are nowadays (with I owned one actually) so these definitely caught my eye.

Bart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,785 Posts
the 4wd luvs 1979 to 82 where nearly 100% with the manuals

where the 4wd pups sold 81\87 are far and few with the manuals.

there likly the 24 spline 76mm bolt pattern that fit the 79\83 models, if there on a LUV.

not the 24 spline 80mm pattern that fits the 84\86 models and the 87 pup, not the 87 trooper there 17 spline.

my 0.01
pup people are dirt cheep, selling them for $125 will be very hard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Pick & Pull must know these are desireable, since they charge $40 each for them. :|

I'm thinking of going back for the Aisin's that were on the Rodeo (should be the same as my Trooper's, right?) just so I have spare parts.

Bart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,785 Posts
unless its a rodeo with drive flanges or some other weird shift on the fly thing, yes they should fit.

i say should cause i don't know too much about rodeos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pics, that's definitely what I saw. But they were on a 78/79 LUV. The splines would be of the old school flavor, correct? Maybe they would work on the original 1st gen Troopers?

Bart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,705 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
Thanks for the pics, that's definitely what I saw. But they were on a 78/79 LUV. The splines would be of the old school flavor, correct? Maybe they would work on the original 1st gen Troopers?

Bart
They won't work on any trooper in the u.s. (I think) perhaps pre 84.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
Thanks for the advice. Pick & Pull must know these are desireable, since they charge $40 each for them. :|

I'm thinking of going back for the Aisin's that were on the Rodeo (should be the same as my Trooper's, right?) just so I have spare parts.

Bart
The Aisin's on the Rodeo will certainly fit your Trooper but $40 each for them is a little steep to me. Pull and Save here gets $14 for the PAIR of hubs. They do go fast though. I was lucky enough to find three sets of Aisin's out there. One set was just sitting on the floor of the truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CatFuzz said:
The Aisin's on the Rodeo will certainly fit your Trooper but $40 each for them is a little steep to me. Pull and Save here gets $14 for the PAIR of hubs. They do go fast though. I was lucky enough to find three sets of Aisin's out there. One set was just sitting on the floor of the truck.
Don't get me started on the prices Pick & Pull charges!! RIP OFF!!!

Bart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,785 Posts
just so the info is hear if some one does a search....

gen1 LUVs where sold 1972 to 1980
gen2 LUVs where sold 81\82 and are a clone of the gen1 pup in those years.
1979 was the first 4WD year, all LUVs pre 79 are 2WD ONLY
and the gen 1 pups where sold 81\87
1984 is the first trooper year in the USA

THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF 24 SPLINE AND ONE OF THE 17

Jerry said what year was for the change but i cant remember for 100%

but i can say i have a 84 pup and its auto hubs are of the type that my 86 trooper has 24 spline 80mm
so id say 82 or 83 was the last year for the 24 spline 76mm hubs.

the crazy rare ones are the 84 to 87 ive yet to fine a set of them that are manuals, other than after market and the land of OZ that is....

ill stop now before taking about all the different pre 88 tranys and drive lines and yokes and engines and and and and and.................well you get the idea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
shooter said:
nfpgasmask said:
Thanks for the pics, that's definitely what I saw. But they were on a 78/79 LUV. The splines would be of the old school flavor, correct? Maybe they would work on the original 1st gen Troopers?

Bart
They won't work on any trooper in the u.s. (I think) perhaps pre 84.
My friend had that ASCO hub on his '82 Trooper. And yes they are a bit different with my '84 Trooper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,073 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
CatFuzz said:
The Aisin's on the Rodeo will certainly fit your Trooper but $40 each for them is a little steep to me. Pull and Save here gets $14 for the PAIR of hubs. They do go fast though. I was lucky enough to find three sets of Aisin's out there. One set was just sitting on the floor of the truck.
Don't get me started on the prices Pick & Pull charges!! RIP OFF!!!

Bart
Prices are weird for stuff like that. There is a salvage parts place in my area that is dirt cheap IMO, and it is not even a pick-n-pull. I just picked up a 10-bolt front axle and third member for $29.99, and they carried it out to my truck for me. That's a heckuva lot easier than pulling a front axle in a pick-n-pull....then you look on car-part.com and some places want hundreds of dollars for the same part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
trooper T/diesel said:
more or less look like this one?
Yessir! Exactly. There actually had two of them, but only one with the manual hubs. Here's what the current inventory says from the PnP site. So likely the one with the manual hubs was the 79....???

Chevrolet LUV 80 0077 09/13/2011
Chevrolet LUV 79 0086 08/18/2011

Bart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,785 Posts
ether one could be it, since 79 up are the 4wd years.

a 2wd 1980 and older will have drive train that looks like its from WW2
the trans has a 10 spline out put....... :shock:
one of GMs finer cost cutting ideas :roll: use a trans from the 40\50s in a 70s auto :blackeye: not an isuzu trans.
got that info from Jerry a long time back, i hope its right

i say this because its interesting just to look at how things changed over the years.
"if your there, and have spent the gas and $2 to get in"
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top