Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Trooper S 4WD AR5 Manual Transmission

My transmission has a couple of gaskets which are seeping which I'd like to replace.

When searching online for gaskets for the AR5 transmission... I can't really find any. There are several different seals available for the transmission (input shaft, output shaft, etc.) but I have yet to see the gaskets for things like the 'Shift Control Housing Gasket'. I can't find individual gaskets or even rebuild kits for this transmission.

Is this because of the age of the transmission? Do I have to make my own gaskets for this?

Thanks!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· Registered
1,166 Posts
OK, I did just find this:

One of the gaskets shown looks like it might be right but doesn't look like a complete set.
That's for the MSG transmission which had its last year in the Trooper in 1987, the description is wrong.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here is a picture of where the oil is seeping.

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

I was hoping to just replace the leaking gaskets and the clutch stuff before re-installing.

Are there other vehicles which used the AR5 transmission where I might find a gasket or rebuild kit?

Thanks!

· Registered
1,166 Posts
So here is a picture of where the oil is seeping.

View attachment 126621

I was hoping to just replace the leaking gaskets and the clutch stuff before re-installing.

Are there other vehicles which used the AR5 transmission where I might find a gasket or rebuild kit?

Thanks!
I'd use teflon tape on the upshift sensor. Then I would pop the shifter housings off, clean them and the trans up, and seal them back on with a high quality RTV.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my digital Trooper shop manual... the Transfer Case section has no info about the hi-lo shifter mechanism or parts.

If I was going to change this gasket, I don't want to mess up anything by removing the shifter mechanism and opening a can of worms. Does anyone have any manual or drawings or photos as to what happens when this shifter cover is un-bolted?

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Gas

Thanks!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nevermind... I found a picture of the 'control box' in the Rodeo Transfer Case section and it looks like there should not be a problem when removing it.

Font Motor vehicle Auto part Parallel Art

Thanks anyway!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just for anyone who might try to remove the hi-lo shifter case cap... I was not successful so beware when getting into this.

I have found no drawings or photos which show the internal shifting mechanism that must be disconnected to completely remove the cap. Without visual reference, it's impossible to understand the mechanism. I was able to remove the 4 cap bolts but after breaking the gasket loose... the cap would only raise about 1/4 of an inch. With a flashlight, I could barely see the shifter shaft with attached downward shaft but no further. I tried pulling upward but nothing would disconnect and since I didn't want to disassemble the transfer case to remove the rods that this shifter moves, I decided to reseal the hi-lo shifter cap with RTV and re-install the bolts.

· Registered
2,299 Posts
Sorry I wasn't able to post this up sooner. Here are some pictures that might be relevant to you from my low gear install. The second picture, and actually the first 10 pictures or so might be relevant. Mine didn't even have a gasket.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that link!

The picture showing the shifter ball helps a lot to understand that mechanism. Looks like I would have needed to re-insert the hi-lo stick and move it so the ball moved towards the front of the vehicle. Then the cap with shaft/ball may have lifted/separated from the socket and the cap come off. It's re-sealed now so I'll see how it does.

Thanks again.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No worries at all! I've got it sealed up now and think it should hold. Hopefully I will not have to rebuild the transfer case like you did! That looks like a hard job.

Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts