Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving earlier, and “missed” the shift to 2nd and ground it before it “fell” in then it did nothing, just revved up, but no grinding. Then immediately I went from 2nd to N, then back to 2nd and nothing.
About 2 miles later I tried 2nd again, and had it downshifting and accelerating, then a few miles later lost 2nd again, then “got” it again.
Still have an hour and half drive home.
Any thoughts? I wasn’t being extremely rough, just let off of the clutch a touch early, then “ground” the gears a little.
I have driven this one for a full year, never had any problems from transmission, changed the oil twice since I’ve had it. Have ground it about a dozen times in that year, never bad, once I realize what’s happening, I pull it back to Neutral and try again.
Will let you know how the drive home goes, thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got home, weird thing is how I did. I had no 1st or 2nd, but if I went to reverse it would grind, “fall in” but that would act like 2nd and reverse were fighting each other, and just stall out the engine. But if I got it into “reverse” (now “fight mode”) then I could go to 1st and then have 1st.

so when I came to a stop 1st and 2nd were empty, pop it into reverse ( slight grinding) then go back to 1st, start out, ( still no 2nd ) jump to 3rd ( very hard to get into 3,4,5, had to force in any of those with slight grinding ) then had 3rd 4th 5th as usual. I only had to stop 4 or 5 times, mostly was 4th gear hill climbing.

Get this, if I ( played) with the shifter enough with the engine off, and clutch engaged, sometimes I could get it onto reverse but then neutral would be 2nd when I would start it and see what I had then

I’m going to try to take the shifter off sometime next week and look at it, if I remember right, isn’t there a cup shaped bushing on the bottom of the shifter?

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
This is a Trooper AR5
The original image was posted in this thread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gas Rim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts