Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new to these forums, Usually on SUVWORLD, but Just wondering this site is solely dedicated to isuzu's, I personally go for show, Just curious who's all out there.

Peace

·
Registered
368 Posts
About the most off roading I do is jumping curbs when I make a wrong turn somewhere. And driving through the grass some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, I think its aight to do the off-roading thing, but Just to throw something out there, Why do people here do the whole off-roading thing in a rodeo/trooper. All reviews of these vehicles basically say that they suck off road. I love the way they look, thats why I got one. I understand you can buy all these mods and suspension upgrades but why? Just buy a silverado and a suspension kit and tires and ride out. Just my .02 please off-roading pros don't take offense.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I dont know where you read your reviews but with some simple mods a Rodeo/Amigo will go the same places a Jeep will. If wanted to be a sheep I'd go with a jacked up Silverado, or worse a Jeep. I like the idea of havin a vehicle that no one else has, as im sure you do also. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm Just waiting on a big snow I want to try and get stuck somewhere just for the heck of it to see how much it takes. Its the middle of december and we havent got any snow that sticks in TN yet.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
CleanNClearRodeo said:
Cool, I think its aight to do the off-roading thing, but Just to throw something out there, Why do people here do the whole off-roading thing in a rodeo/trooper. All reviews of these vehicles basically say that they suck off road. I love the way they look, thats why I got one. I understand you can buy all these mods and suspension upgrades but why? Just buy a silverado and a suspension kit and tires and ride out. Just my .02 please off-roading pros don't take offense.
No Offense Taken!!!!! :)

But be warned, now that you've opened the gates, all of the posters here who DO offroad their chariots will now make it their priority to corrupt you to the dark side ...... :twisted:

As for the reviews you've been exposed too......those would be from the liberal left Consumer Report's huggers who have no appreciation of what ISUZU's vehicles are actually capable of.........SAFELY. ISUZU received a wrongfully deserved black-eye from CR and has never aggressively sought to recover from it. As a result, any reviews you've seen are from dweebs who only go by an 'attitude' against ISUZU generated by CR's bullsh!t.

Historically, at least as far as ISUZU's family of SUV's go (EXCEPT FOR THE ASSENDER), the vehicles are quite stout, over-engineered and quite capable offroad right off the lot. With minimal upgrades to suspension and tires, they increase in capability quickly.

That said, many owners who offroad their 'Zus either recreationally (me) or competitively, or for whatever reason, swear by their rigs.

You'll find a number of 'built' ISUZU's that have proven the nameplate either by amateur owners or by ISUZU professional teams both in BAJA and Australia. ISUZU has participated in the DAKAR rally in the past but has not in the last several years. Mitsubishi and Subrau are currently the names to beat in DAKAR and FIA world rally. Check out the Planet's website for some articles about the various competitions ISUZU has participated in, they make for interesting reads.

Explore the various photo galleries or hookup with some folks either from here or over at the 'Wire (http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu) and experience your ride from a whole different perspective.

I had taken my Trooper on the beach a number of times, but the first time I drove the trails in the Uwharrie National Forest, I gained a totally different and immediate appreciation of my truck and its drivetrain, even with the little 2.8 that could and open diffs.

As with anything offroad, there is a spectrum of mild to moderate offroading and then moderate to extreme offroading.

Overseas, ISUZU is one of the top automakers in the Thailand, Japanese, and (Holden) Australian markets and very highly regarded. ISUZU is also strong in the UK and Europe and even has a presence in South America under teh Caribe nameplate. Don't take anything said or reported in the US as the gospel. The state of the automotive industry in the US politically and economically sucks wind.

Nothing wrong with a show truck, I've seen some great looking rides in my area. I would like to see a show truck tricked out that's also an aggressive (read= capable) offroader..........now that would be kewl! 8)

PICS!

Cheers,

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can get any opinion with various articles and opinions out there. My father owned an Isuzu Trooper from each generation (Isuzu generations). He loved each one of them and I never remember them every having any problems. What I do remember is hunting every year in Mt. Storm, WVA where the weather and terrain are as tenacious as it's name. Bottom line is, Isuzu Troopers rock for an affordable stock vehicle. Any upgrades you do are icing on the top. I think many feel that a true offroad vehcile has to be huge and have a V8 engine in it (and in many cases have Ford or a bowtie on the front). In my offroad experience, these are the vehicles I leave behind, especially in tight wooded areas where wider vehciles have a lot of trouble (for all you Hummer lovers out there). Although the H1 will go just about anywhere! Offroading capabilities have more to do with the drivers than the vehicles themselves. I now have a '99 Trooper. I tried pricing up all the Toyotas, Chevy's, etc..... You name it, I checked it out. When it was all said and done, I couldn't pass up the affordability and quality of the Trooper. You can do anything to these things, they are still a Man's SUV instead of these SMV's we see today (Soccer Mom Vehicles). We used to pull a 20.5 Mastercraft ski boat with my dad's last two Troopers, 1996 and 1998 3.2L. They would pull that boat up to Mt. Storm without flinching. Previous to that we pulled another 17' boat with the '85 4cyl we used to have. Long story short, I love Isuzu's. I hope they get their act togther and come back with the Trooper. Word I hear is it is coming back in 2006!

·
Registered
79 Posts
N-N-O-O-O-O-O!!! Zu's RULE!!! Sell it and buy a station wagon to haul all that audio CRAP!!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hyunduzu said:
I personally go for show
Fashion over function - the absolute antithesis of Isuzu...
LOL :lol:

So True.......

Only ISUZU could make its mark with something like the classic boxy Trooper and then conceive and then even produce something as radical as the VehiCross, and even though it's toned down when compared to the VX, the Axiom.

Well, now that I think about it, I think when it comes to fashion, ISUZU is quite adept at pushing the envelope when it comes to fashion. I think in the case of the Rodeo and Trooper, the designs were neglected while effort was put into the VX/Axiom areas and now the new pick-ups, which look awesome.

The thing with ISUZU though, is the designs have to 'grow' on people. I couldn't help but gape at the Axiom when I first saw it, saying to myself, "What were they thinking?" But now I find the Axiom quite appealing...........

Cheers,

·
Registered
61 Posts
I still have not warmed up to the Axiom but I have always liked the newer Rodeo in appearance. It's funny how a new design slowly grows on you. I felt the same way concerning the Land Rover Discovery.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Back to the original topic, almost every one of us who "does the off-road thing" also does the on-road thing. I drive my Trooper every day, so for me more important than off-road performance is the on-road performance. I still need to be able to comfortably do 75mph. I still need to have firm reliable brakes. I still need sway bars.

Those who don't have long commutes in their Isuzus generally still drive them to the trail, if nothing else.

Another things, is that where I live, when it snows those people with 4wd vehicles always seem to find some kind of adventure. These propably aren't people who consider themselves off-roaders.

No point really, just sharing my $0.02.

-Tad

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't do the off road thing right now but as soon as we get this thing sorted right etc etc. Should be before xmas. Ima take her up in the mountains and have some fun.
Isuzu rawks.

Cris

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I don't do the off road thing with either of ours. However, when I bought the first one, 2 weeks after we had it, we had a major snowstorm here in Southwestern PA. The snow was drifted higher than the truck. Once we were able to get out, we were in some pretty deep snow and it just pushed it way through. Then we bought the second one, I was at a gas station and the attendent asked "You must really like these things". I said yeah and his reply was "A friend has one and it goes like a tank." Made me laugh cause boyfriend works on those for a living!

We are at the bottom of the mountain and the hill to the house gets pretty rough. Throw it in 4WD at the bottom and it is a nice steady cruise all the way up-until you go over the big snow pile in the driveway. Just goes over it like a speed bump, no hesitation at all.

Guy that he works with also has a Rodeo and it has never left him stuck in the snow.

No we will probably never go 4 wheelin in ours-only when we have to. Boyfriend won't even take his into the woods, does not want the paint scratched. They are both too babied to do that. I guess ours are just "fashion statements" also. But they do look so good!

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
SILVERADO!! as an offroader....wtf have you been smokin!!!!
Seriously though, while its hard to consider any IFS vehicle competent offroad the suzu's are actually pretty good offroaders right off the showroom floor, they have decent gearing, decent wheel travel, strong frames, beefy rear axles, many had the trac-loks in the rear, 4 wheel disc's, light weight and most have skids under them. They can run with any stocker and leave a silverado in the dust, fullsizers trucks are the worst thing offroad with the H1 hummers a close second.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to give it to izuzu, i work at a sand mine and my 98 rodeo (not 4wd) goes through some **** and then some. It may have not got very good reviews stock but they will handle some mud and whatnot

·
Registered
75 Posts
CleanNClearRodeo said:
Why do people here do the whole off-roading thing in a rodeo/trooper. All reviews of these vehicles basically say that they suck off road. Just my .02 please off-roading pros don't take offense.
No offense taken. Everyone has thier own opinion and you're just asking a question. I like the way my Trooper performs offroad. I haven't done many mods to it yet and I've still made it over obsticles where guy's with 35" tires failed. Mind you this isn't an every day event and I don't care about body damage (yes it is my daily driver). As for reviews. I highly doubt that most of the testers have taken the test vehicles offroad more than a bumpy logging road or a gravel pit. Depending on the terrain Troopers do verry well. I'm from Victoria BC Canada and I do just fine with only 31" tires, welded rear and no fear of damage.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought my 95 Trooper and haven't had it off-road yet. I haven't been off-roading just for amusement in quite a few years. I spent 5 years in Alaska where I owned an FJ40 Landcruiser and it was an amazing off-road vehicle. I also owned a 78 Dodge W250 crew cab that was more than capable. The 78 Chevy P/U with the lift and the fat tires was less capable than either of the above--and it did pretty well most of the time.

From the little I've read and my first impression of the Trooper, I expect it to be quite capable off-road in its stock configuration. I don't plan to enter any mud bog contests or anything but I wouldn't be afraid of a little mud, either.

It's my wife's daily driver so my off-road opportunities will be minimal. I have enjoyed off-roading in the past and hope to do so again this summer. If I can take the family camping someplace up some gnarly trail because I have a capable 4x4, so much the better!

I don't have LSD on mine and I have learned over the years that LSD can be the difference between getting stuck and pulling out the stuck people.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, the only truck on the market that can do any offroading decently is a Jeep Rubicon. And even it is in need of some real tires and a cage.

The Trooper is the errands car for my wife. Picking up groceries at Costco and such. We normally ride bikes. And for all my off roading, I use my Bronco II (that I just bought back!!!).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.