Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am driving my buddy's 93 Yota 4runner while my Trooper is torn apart for the tranny rebuild. This thing rides like it is bolted to the axles! I mean there is no suspension at all is what it feels like. I thought the Trooper was stiff after I put the 929 coils in but it rides like a Cadillac compared to this thing. The truck is bone stock and has almost 250k on it.

Any ideas what it could be? Is this normal for these trucks? My first thought is maybe someone put the wrong shocks on it but really would that make it this stiff?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,073 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
It sounds like the suspension is worn out. May have bad ball joints up front. The 4runner's are generally more nimble and "sporty" feeling in comparison to a trooper. I guess they are more like the rodeo in terms of handling with somewhat firmer suspension.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
my wife has a '99 and it rides pretty smooth. I wouldn't say it was drastically different from a trooper or VX.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this thing rides horrible. I am sure the Mud tires on the rear aren't helping. I think it does sit down a bit in the rear so maybe after a quarter million miles the factory springs need to be swapped for a new set. I was thinking maybe the shocks were too stiff or something.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i had an 87 a while back. The rear was pretty much shot and tended to bottom out pretty quick. it was just a rough riding truck. the weird thing was that once you took to the top off, the ride was softer but at 55mph+ it would start to shake the whole rear of the truck. Put the top back on, the shakes would go away but the ride was worse. :roll:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I finally crawled under the 4runner the other day and was amazed at what I found... There is only 1.25 inches between the top of the axle and the bumpstop! The bumpstop also seems oversized as if at one point there was a lift kit installed on this truck and then removed. The bumpstop is 3/4 the size of the coil spring.

I think the reason this truck rides so bad is two part. First I think this oversized bumpstop has eliminated any compression in the rear springs. Secondly, I thing the rear springs are just worn out so they have compressed which would explain the rear end sag.

I will post up more once I source some factory bumpstops and figure out what direction the owner wants to go as far as replacing the rear coils.

·
Registered
316 Posts
4-Runner butt sag, pretty common especially with the miles on yours. My 2000 has over 200,000 now and I replaced the springs/shocks on all four corners not too long ago and added a few inches. Rides great now. Check out http://www.toyteclifts.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts