1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i don't know about the alternator but i...must...know more about your passport :shock:

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I had a LoadBoss HO unit from Alterstart. It didn't even make it past the 1 month mark. :(

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Over wrapped Alternators are junk, none of these guys upgrades the cooling (and no a fan pointed at the alt doesn't count) It would need to be a larger unit that matches your mount points.

BTW '97 isn't 1st Gen, that would have been the GM 3.1L. You have a 2nd Gen with the Isuzu 3.2L (entirely different beast lol). Your best bet would be to find the highest output 3.2L/3.5L alt you can, but it won't be in the 150A+ range, those are over wrapped stock shells.

You would be better off trying to find a way to mount a 2nd alt, or a 2nd isolateable battery.

What are you trying to push that you need more amps?

~psguardian

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
psguardian said:
What are you trying to push that you need more amps?
Does Got_Bass89 give any hints? Lol. Jk. :lol:

I agree though, you cant just fit more crap in the stock housing and make a direct bolt on HO unit.
You need a true HO alternator, which is more than likely going to need some mounts fabbed or something.

I know DBAIRD99 has one from Power Bastards, I wonder how thats holding up.
The LoadBoss unit I had impressed me at first, but not even lasting a month was a HUGE disappointment.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I agree with over wrapped alternators using the stock housing not gonna last long.. Thats why when I read the GM alternator swap how-to, got me thinking..

I've looked and looked at the engine, I just don't see where I can fab a second alt.. Drawing a blank..

I have a big stereo system, pulling probably 400amps or so.. I run 3 batts to keep my voltage alive at 11.9 - 12.0 volts with stereo on. And of course the stock alternators last about 10months lol Swapped it out a few times..

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Ok after reading your sig a bit more thoroughly I see your issue, you've chosen an Isuzu as the basis for a competition stereo system! LOL.

Really though, that GM big-boy alt looks like a good doable swap... I'm gonna have to look into that in the future.

~psguardian

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
PolarStar said:
psguardian said:
BTW '97 isn't 1st Gen, that would have been the GM 3.1L. You have a 2nd Gen with the Isuzu 3.2L (entirely different beast lol).
No. The GM3.1 ended in 1992. 1993-1998, with a first gen design, had the 3.2L

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Wizard
And thats what a 'Trooper Guy' gets for openin' his mouth on a Rodeo thread! LOL I stand corrected.

~psguardian

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
psguardian said:
PolarStar said:
psguardian said:
BTW '97 isn't 1st Gen, that would have been the GM 3.1L. You have a 2nd Gen with the Isuzu 3.2L (entirely different beast lol).

And thats what a 'Trooper Guy' gets for openin' his mouth on a Rodeo thread! LOL I stand corrected.

~psguardian
Didn't the two of you just say the same thing ???

Well, except for the "gen" thing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey man, I think ive seen your audio build on SMD, looks really good. Im actually planning a similar build this summer ( 2 xl 18s walled on a dc 5k ) so ive been looking into the alternator thing.

Have you checked with DC power or Mechman? We have the same truck and when i checked with DC they had two options. Both were 180 alts that did 120 amps at idle hot.

They also cost $450 though :shock:
But you tend to get what you pay for with alternators and it will do rated.

Havent checked wth mechman yet but ive heard they tend to be a bit cheaper.

Curious if you've looked into either of these yet

·
Registered
86 Posts
psguardian said:
PolarStar said:
psguardian said:

~psguardian
Actually, first gen ended in 97. It had a 3.2 SOHC and a different body style of course. The 3.2 in the 98 is a DOHC.

Check out www.specialtauto.com and do a search to see if he still has a HO alt for the 96/97. I had one on my 96 and it worked fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mrd6 said:
Hey man, I think ive seen your audio build on SMD, looks really good. Im actually planning a similar build this summer ( 2 xl 18s walled on a dc 5k ) so ive been looking into the alternator thing.

Have you checked with DC power or Mechman? We have the same truck and when i checked with DC they had two options. Both were 180 alts that did 120 amps at idle hot.

They also cost $450 though :shock:
But you tend to get what you pay for with alternators and it will do rated.

Havent checked wth mechman yet but ive heard they tend to be a bit cheaper.

Curious if you've looked into either of these yet
Ya thanks man, i've done some stuff since on smd too. Been long time since I been on there..

I havnt checked out mechman or dc because unless they do a bigger case i don't think they will last... Ive been looking at modifying for bigger case more.. Or even adding a second alternator would be the ****..

·
Registered
976 Posts
blackrodeo said:
Actually, first gen ended in 97. It had a 3.2 SOHC and a different body style of course. The 3.2 in the 98 is a DOHC.
Ah, that would be the difference. Good to know. Maybe when the wiki page is back up....

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
PolarStar said:
blackrodeo said:
Ah, that would be the difference. Good to know. Maybe when the wiki page is back up....
Wiki page is back up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased a Fitzall 220 from PowerBastards. Had to fab custom bushings, quick and easy.

I have been running it for about 6 months, 1000w audio system doesn't phase it.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
selfguided said:
I purchased a Fitzall 220 from PowerBastards. Had to fab custom bushings, quick and easy.

I have been running it for about 6 months, 1000w audio system doesn't phase it.

I'd LOVE a 200A alt, but... Boy oh boy does that look like a tight fit... Did that fit right in after making a sleeve for the upper bolt? What did you do with the 3 small wires that went to the charging post & the plug that went to the stock alt?

~psguardian

1 - 20 of 33 Posts