Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of superwinch hubs on my 2001 Honda Passport. I've noticed that despite polishing/cleaning, the keep developing oxidation or corrosion. Anyone else having problems with this? Solution? I was thinking about painting them. Anyone had any luck with that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
Big Jay said:
I have a pair of superwinch hubs on my 2001 Honda Passport. I've noticed that despite polishing/cleaning, the keep developing oxidation or corrosion. Anyone else having problems with this? Solution? I was thinking about painting them. Anyone had any luck with that?
You are talking about making them look purty, right ?

This is not about function ?

Well, for purty, take them off. Shine them up real good. Then clear powdercoat them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,073 Posts
Maybe try the clear Duplicolor wheel paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Ya I'm gonna paint mine when I get black wheels, but so far I haven't noticed any corrosion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
When you polish any anodized aluminum that has been correctly sealed it ruins the finish(removes sealer)
If you have a multi meter and can check continuity check your aluminum,if it has contnuity it is not sealed.
Only option you have is paint or polish and have reanodized
Anodize is a process that undied will be agray color dependent on base metal,or it can be dyde to multiple colors make sure its sealed good and uv resistant
Downside is cost$75 minumum lot charge at most places
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hubs are definitely not anodized. It's a bare aluminum with maybe a light coat of oil on them. Mine get nasty "chalking" all over them a week after I polish them up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
Big Jay said:
The hubs are definitely not anodized. It's a bare aluminum with maybe a light coat of oil on them. Mine get nasty "chalking" all over them a week after I polish them up.
Were they shiny when you got them ?

If so, did you shine them up right away, or did you wait until they started to corrode ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,560 Posts
They are just bare cast aluminum when new. I have clear coated them in the past with a clear coat made for alloy wheels. It's helps some but doesn't hold up to road salt. I painted mine black last fall and so far so good. Just quicky rattle can job.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Selador said:
Big Jay said:
The hubs are definitely not anodized. It's a bare aluminum with maybe a light coat of oil on them. Mine get nasty "chalking" all over them a week after I polish them up.
Were they shiny when you got them ?

If so, did you shine them up right away, or did you wait until they started to corrode ?
Nope. I was messing with the wheel bearings at the time so I pulled them on and off a handful of times. I just cleaned them off, bolted them on.

squatch said:
They are just bare cast aluminum when new. I have clear coated them in the past with a clear coat made for alloy wheels. It's helps some but doesn't hold up to road salt. I painted mine black last fall and so far so good. Just quicky rattle can job.
That doesn't look too bad. I was worried about the paint getting inside the hubs.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top