Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres 2 circular seals on the top of my tank. The shop manual calls em roll over seals. I havent dropped the tank yet, and id like to have the parts in and installed asap, because its my dd. This part isnt limited to 1 gen troopers, from what ive seen, this part is used on amigos, pup, troopers, and rodeos. Just want to make sure it is only the seal, and not the valve or cover too.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen a tank leak at the top though I'm sure it occurs. Most leaks I've seen have been at the bottom from rust or damage, often where the strap accumulates dirt and / or rubs the tank...or at the filler neck or the seam.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
dryvr12 said:
Theres 2 circular seals on the top of my tank. The shop manual calls em roll over seals. I havent dropped the tank yet, and id like to have the parts in and installed asap, because its my dd. This part isnt limited to 1 gen troopers, from what ive seen, this part is used on amigos, pup, troopers, and rodeos. Just want to make sure it is only the seal, and not the valve or cover too.
Are they both located at the roll over valve?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shooter said:
dryvr12 said:
Are they both located at the roll over valve?
Yes. And the leak is for sure coming from the top. Im assuming that it leaks out if i take a turn hard or just fill it all the way up.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
I've seen this before, there are 2 valves in the top of the tank, I believe they're vents that route back to the charcoal canister. They're sealed with rubber gaskets that get old and leak. I would get with Jerry on getting some new ones. You don't have to drop the tank entirely, just remove the skid plate, loosen the 3 bolts on the passenger's side of the tank about 2/3rds of the way, then remove the driver's side bolts and the tank will hang down far enough that you can get to them without having to disconnect the fuel lines, filler pipe, wiring, etc. The valves spin out with a quarter turn, you'll probably need to tap them loose with a hammer and screwdriver, chisel or punch or something. Shouldn't be a big deal, and it's a good dress rehearsal for the fuel pump you'll be putting in next summer. You can do it the same way without removing the whole tank. Oh, and by the way, make sure your tank is as empty as possible and it makes the whole job a lot easier.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
It's a strange set up. When the engine isn't running, vapor is is taken up and stored in the roll over valve traps. Upon reaching a calibrated threshold, the vapor is sent on its way via the check and relief valve to the evaporative canister. With the engine running, and a calibrated negative pressure (vacuum) is reached, outside air (atmosphere) is sucked through the same line from the air cleaner to the evap canister, through the check and relief valve to the roll over valve and finally to the tank. Engineers.:D

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
No prob Shooter you saved me the trouble. :D That's why I post all these pics.

Sometimes a leak on top can be a loose fuel line or clamp as well. You can lay on your back underneath and reach up and over from the front a get your hand on top normally. Not enough room to change the seals but might feel the leak or hose clamps. 3 fuel lines. 1) 5/16" fuel line. 2)1/4" return line from fuel rail on engine. 3) 1/4" vapor line from roll over valves to canister.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Yeah.Blackie has a teeny tineey leak from the bottom. I might get a few drops out of it a day. just enough to smell gas! It was from being drug over a rock or some concrete. Previous owner had done it so I don't know what he hit, just saw the severe scrape on the bottom of the tank

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! And I messages jerry a week or so ago with no reply. I heard he was having back surgery... Anybody know if he's still doing parts at the moment?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I checked them out. its something like 6 or 7 bucks. Just makin sure it was just the seals. But Ive got a 5 day thanksgiving break and about a half a tank of gas left to burn :lol:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
When I put my new tank in I replaced all the seals and lines on top. and the sender and pump. I hate dropping gas tanks! On those roll over seals. Spray a little silicone lube on them and they will pop right in. It works for just about any rubber part you are trying to install.

Here is the answer to leaking gas tanks from the tank itself. I had my Trooper tank done.
http://gastankrenu.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts