Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was having a problem with the air conditioning in my trooper getting warm at slow speeds... so i bough a little 8 inch fan off ebay and installed it in front of the condenser on the passenger side (same location where the stock condenser fan is located on newer models) now the A/C blows ice cold even at idle. just thought id share just in case somebody else is having the same problem...

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I'm surprised yours didnt already have a condenser fan. I put one on my rodeo for the same reason. On 2nd gen rodeos, automatics had them but 5 speeds didnt. I took the fan, wiring, and everything in the fuse box for it off of an automatic rodeo and spliced it in so its pretty much like a factory install.

You're right, it works much better. Mine did ok at low speed but would not run at idle. Now it does.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I never had that problem at idle, but I wish we could get a better blower wheel or something.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Dae said:
I never had that problem at idle, but I wish we could get a better blower wheel or something.
X2, mine does OK, but it does cycle on less often at idle than at speed...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i think they came with the fans after 2000 or something. I just have mine hooked to a switch with a relay for now, but would like to have it come on automatically when i turn on the air. How did you hook yours up to make it work like factory?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
How did you hook yours up to make it work like factory?
You have to change the pressure switch on top of the receiver/dryer. Ones without condenser fan have a 2 function switch (low pressure cut out and high pressure cut out), ones with condenser fan have a 3 function switch (adds a switch position to activate condenser fan relay).

When I got all the wiring for the condenser fan circuit I started at the pressure switch (which I took) and stripped out all the wiring back to the fuse box in the engine compartment. On 2nd gen rodeo all the wires from the switch all go to the fuse box (2 wires then come back out and go to the condenser fan) except 1 wire which goes to behind the driver side kick panel. Where that wire connects doesnt exist on 5 speeds though so I had to find the next point in the wiring diagram to make it work right which was behind the passenger kick panel. I had to splice a wire in there and run it up to the pressure switch.

I know trooper would be a bit different but thought I'd mention all that in case you decide to strip out the wiring and stuff from a trooper to do yours at some point.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so would it work if i just hooked the 3rd wire from the new pressure switch up to my relay for the fan?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Yes it should.

You will have to dump the charge then vacuum and recharge the system to replace the switch though. Wasnt a big deal to me since I have the equipment to do it.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Gizmo42 said:
Yes it should.

You will have to dump the charge then vacuum and recharge the system to replace the switch though. Wasnt a big deal to me since I have the equipment to do it.
Where'd ya get your adapters? ;-)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Something else to do to get your system to run colder, have an AC shop add a bit more freon to your system. Mine wasn't working real good in the hot midwestern summer so I took it to a shop to have it looked at. The tech at the shop said it was pressurized to the low end of the system operating pressure limits, he increased the pressure by just a few pounds, making it just below the recommended high end. (not sure what those pressures really are) Long story short, ice cold AC.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Its funny you should post this. I added one to my trooper last weekend.
I've got a 01 trooper and when I bought it, it was slightly hit in the front and had a damaged condenser and no fan. I replaced the condenser and didnt even think about it missing an electric fan as all of my other troopers that I've owned were older than 01. I was at the junk yard and spoted an 01 aniversery trooper just like mine and noticed the fan, $10 later I've got much colder A/C!!!! Man its crazy just how much colder it gets at idle!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm having same problems with my '99 Trooper...over 200K. Blows fine but just not cool, even after dealer refilled freon. Can someone explain in more detail how to add a cooling fan as the author did? Photos? I'm not very inclined on electronics..Just looking for a simple fix...thanks. It's been 98 or higher in Memphis here for 15 straight days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts