Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna get a new exhaust done soon, and I am considering getting the exhaust guys to just give me a turndown in front of the rear axle. I like this setup better; simpler, cheaper, and more off road friendly.

Has anyone done this?

Obviously there are some cons to it, such as exhaust fumes, but I've had some experience with it; last year I had a cherry bomb glasspack with a turndown, and I never had a bad experience with fumes.

And when I get the exhaust done, I'm gonna ask the guys to run the pipe as close to the side of the truck as possible, so the exhaust exits down and to the side, not right underneath.

So again, any pics of this on anyone else's rig?

Any input?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Exactly how mine is set up.
I would NOT reccomend it.
Too much exhaust fumes in that little cab!
They sneak in from every hidden corner!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depending on what you're hoping to get from the exhaust job, you have different options (restricted somewhat by your location). I plan to simply cut off the pipe a foot or so back from the manifold (no emissions in my area). Basically, the less pipe the less restriction you have, meaning a better breathing engine. Fumes are a concern though. One option would be to set up the pipe to exit off one side right after the front wheel well, or just before the rear wheel well. These locations make crushing a pipe during rock climbing less likely. A turndown exhaust though, however appealing it is, makes accumulating fumes a problem. Find a suitable compromise between different setups.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
creator2750 said:
Depending on what you're hoping to get from the exhaust job, you have different options (restricted somewhat by your location). I plan to simply cut off the pipe a foot or so back from the manifold (no emissions in my area). Basically, the less pipe the less restriction you have, meaning a better breathing engine. Fumes are a concern though. One option would be to set up the pipe to exit off one side right after the front wheel well, or just before the rear wheel well. These locations make crushing a pipe during rock climbing less likely. A turndown exhaust though, however appealing it is, makes accumulating fumes a problem. Find a suitable compromise between different setups.
So you're saying that if it wasn't a turndown, it wouldn't be a problem? The turndown would cause fumes to accumulate?
So essentially I could run a tailpipe and end it before the rear axle, and it would be safer than a turndown?

·
Registered
165 Posts
you should get the tailpipe out from under the rear of the vehicle somewhere. i run a turn down on my passport in front of the axle and never have any problems with exhaust coming inside. If its dumping out under the bottom... heat rises and the exhaust gas rolls up around the body and finds its way in anywhere it can.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I've seen the light and decided I'll have the tailpipe come out behind the axle
Thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts