Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my eagle project, I will be constructing/refurbishing a period correct 1800's wooden covered wagon. So far the wheels (need to be wood) have been the most difficult part. Brand new I am looking at about $2000. Was just wondering if there's a wheel place by you, or the chance that you might make them.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its set in stone. I got about a $500 donation of wood, a wagon as a template, etc. I would not choose it again, but I can't go back now. Not sure of the exact diameter, but between 30 and 40 inches.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I just did a search on e-bay and there are some originals on there.

I' I were to do this, I'd deconstruct an original wheel to copy and refurbish. All you really need is a template. I'd think the hubs and steering components will be the hardest part. Good luck and share your progress with us.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wish I'd have seen this a couple months ago. After my grandfather died...their kids were selling off things from the barns (long time dairy farmer in WI). One barn was full of 1800's wagons, probably 30 wooden wheels. So many we were giving them away. Unfortunatly, I'm pretty sure they are all gone...and I'm too far TN to check...but if I hear there are some, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Wagon wheels here are solid, so I don't think that would help much.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man I bet you those would have been EXACTLY what I needed (as mine is a farm wagon) There really wont be any progress pics until next fall, but I can put some up of what I have now.

And reconstructing wheels is out of the question. Iv considered it though. We do not have/have access to a lathe. And between all the different woods, ash, hickory, maple, white oak, it can get confusing.

We do have a large amish community maybe 2 hours from here, so I'm going to have to take a trip out there to see if they can help me.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I was up at Dollywood a few weeks back in Pigeon Forge, TN. They have a buggy making area in "craftsman's valley" or whatever its called. You might be able to contact them and see what they know about them. Or you could go visit and watch them make the wheels befor eyou go about making your own! I don't think they used lathes- just hand scraping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts