Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got myself a moto...any of you use the rear hitch mounted motorcycle carrier on your Zoos?

Kinda like this?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Subscribed!
I've thought about building one, but wasn't sure how my Gen I Trooper would handle the weight. I'm not worried about the hitch, it's the extra weight on the rear suspension and how it will effect the truck's handling. My bike weighs about 425#. I guess that'd be like pulling a trailer with that much tongue weight but not having to stop the additional weight of the trailer. Another thing is the length of my bike. It's about 7' long, so it would stick out almost a foot on each side. The last time I was thinking about it, I about came to the conclusion that a narrow lightweight single rail trailer might be the best way to go. That being said, if you're wanting to haul something lighter, I'd think the overall length of the bike would be the main issue.
Mike

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I have used one for my Yamaha TW200, on my old 99 Trooper. It worked fine, though it is a little scary to watch the bike sway back and forth. I was really careful in strapping that thing down, and also ran a couple of straps down under the bumper to limit sway.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Great timing on this post, as I've been researching ways to get my BMW to the track for track day. After looking at the options, I think a 1st gen Trooper could probably handle a bike in the 200 to 300 lb range. 300 lb might be pushing it though. Above that, use a trailer, IMHO.
Jay

Doc said:

I got myself a moto...any of you use the rear hitch mounted motorcycle carrier on your Zoos?

Kinda like this?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I have a hitch mounted snow blower carrier. Does that count? 8)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Personally I wouldn't, it tends to squat down the rear and raise the front, making for some sketchy handling. Those work better with 2 strokes or motocross bikes then drz's. For a few hundred bucks you can buy any old small flatbed and chuck a wheel chock on it.

This trailer was 300 bucks, wheel chocks 10 apiece on sale (regularly 20), and some eye bolts to tie them down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used to carry my DRZ supermoto on the back of my 98. I had a Class III U-haul hitch and it worked fine. However, I had to put in OME 912's to keep the back from squatting so much

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah but I already have trucks and trailers....they are all too big. I cant see spending more money.on another trailer. Plus it is just another thing to have to pay tax on every year.

What is the max tongue weight on these? Mine is a 1990 5 spd 4 cyl

·
Registered
40 Posts
Max tongue weight on mine (class 2 hitch) is 200 pounds, probably the same for a trooper i would guess. You would need a class 3 hitch (500 lb tongue weight) for the weight of the bike (320lb) plus carrier (~50lb ?). Then if the hitch can handle it, your rear leafs might need an upgrade not to squat too much. 350 pounds on the very end of the vehicle is a lot of leverage on those things.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm yeah I was kinda thinking that. I have custom 2x4 steel bumpers..it would not be hard to add a class III receiver. I was using the BOSS bike carrier info to give me an idea and found it would require a 500 lbs tongue weight to support a 300 lb bike back there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use a 2 bike carrier on my Rodeo and I can load it with two CRF250Rs without any issue. I have a class III hitch.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I could toss 4 or 5 people in the back and see where it sits as well. Thanks for posting, gonna o some homework before I get too crazy with it

·
Registered
3 Posts

I did find this while searching around. Does not look as bad as I thought it would be
cool I just got a carrier, i had to buy an additional 2"adaptor for the tow hitch receiver, since the only receiver i could find to fit my 91 trooper was 1 and 1/4". its ok because it gives a little more length to clear the spare tire

·
Registered
124 Posts
My carrier is a MotoCrib , for a 2” receiver . My 2003 Suzuki DRZ is like 330 lbs. I have the lightest capacity OldMan Emu springs is the back. No problem at all . Truck rides great. Rear sway bars are still hooked up , and my front sway bar has been removed for better articulation. Drives just fine. Eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts