Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished the return of my normal commute (Highway 17 in Northern California), and I'm happy to report that my newly installed polyurethane sway bar bushings did make a noticable difference in handling and overall road feel. I bought a set of Energy Suspension poly bushings (p/n 9.5161G -- I wanted black stealth bushings) and installed them while I was running a computer backup. It took me about 45 minutes total, but part of that was clean-up (synthetic chassis grease is fun stuff ...). The hardest part was removing the skid plate, and that was all of three pretty accessible bolts (I admit that I also took off the oil filter plate because I didn't know how the main front plate was mounted -- so, a total of 5 bolts).

All in all, the ES brackets are slightly larger than I would like (mine hang down a little below the frame mount; a serious off-roader would likely want to trim that flush), but otherwise the 1" bushings fit nicely, and it was easy to do. One word of advice to the next person to do this -- do one side at a time. Otherwise, when you take off both, the sway bar will want to swing down and bonk you on the noggin if you're not reasonably quick. I barely avoided a rather embarassing black eye.

After installing just the front set, I can now feel what I perceive to be a touch of sway bar mushiness from the rear, and am considering installing a matching set in the back.

The bushings set me back a total of $18.40 including tax from my local Napa auto parts store.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I did the ones on my rodeo saturday. Mine would have been easier then yours (didnt have to drop the skid plate) if one of the bolts hadnt stripped while taking it out :evil: I think I managed to get the threads cleaned up and the new bolt to hold ok.

I ended up going with prothane bushings since I had already thrown out the box and paperwork for the ES ones I got from jeggs which were too big ('99 rodeo uses 24mm which is 15/16"). Since I was buying stuff from jc whitney I went ahead and spent the $12 on these. 2 things I dont like though, they are red instead of black. And they dont have grease fittings.

I cant say I've noticed a big difference but there is a difference. I think rear ones are on the list for me too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.