Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
I remember the big to do when he hit a million. Volvo had a big party in Time Square and they timed it so he would pass a million within a block of it.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Good god. 3 million miles??!!! How is that possible? In fact, why would anyone even WANT to drive 3 million miles? I am not impressed.

Nathan08T said:
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-first-car-to-3-million-miles-.html

Almost 3 million miles?!

Yahoo is known for their vague articles, so I suppose it's possible there was major maintenance, rebuilds, etc.. along the way. But still, 3 million?

·
Registered
555 Posts
jaydubya2003 said:
Those p1800's are pretty cool cars anyhow...but the fact that it went the 3mil is amazing!!
I had a 68 Volvo and it was a solid little car. The odometer didnt work so I dont know how many miles she had.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't know if any of you guys get the show, but here in Tampa on regular TV (not cable or sat but just an antenna) we have a program called Tail fins and Chrome. Its a half hour show about restored cars from all eras.

They talked with this guy at a car show once. He has rebuilt the engine 3 times and replaced it with a new one twice. Replaced the transmission once and all the suspension parts several times. He has also had the interior replace once.

Even though it was all done with factory original parts to exactly stock condition, its only the body and speedometer that have that many miles, not the entire original car.

Its kind of like the story about George Washington's hatchet. Its had 5 new handles and 4 new heads but it the same one he used to chop down his daddy's cherry tree.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Awesome. 3 new engines and a couple rebuilds... 1 transmission change. Awesome.

·
Registered
336 Posts
johnnie59 said:
I don't know if any of you guys get the show, but here in Tampa on regular TV (not cable or sat but just an antenna) we have a program called Tail fins and Chrome. Its a half hour show about restored cars from all eras.

They talked with this guy at a car show once. He has rebuilt the engine 3 times and replaced it with a new one twice. Replaced the transmission once and all the suspension parts several times. He has also had the interior replace once.

Even though it was all done with factory original parts to exactly stock condition, its only the body and speedometer that have that many miles, not the entire original car.

Its kind of like the story about George Washington's hatchet. Its had 5 new handles and 4 new heads but it the same one he used to chop down his daddy's cherry tree.
So each motor (if divided completely equally) had about 600,000 miles on them ;-)

And the trannies had 1.5 million on them

I'm still pretty impressed ;-)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Kinda misleading wouldn't you say? My Rodeo has 161,xxx on the clock but she's on her second auto trans. I always mention that when I say my mileage, because its not all factory anymore.

3 million miles on the body? Meh.. whoop de doo

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's amazing! Not many people keep cars that long and drive that many miles. I wonder what he does for work? Seems like he'd be driving constantly with over 60k per year. Cool story.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
TKEPA251 said:
...3 million miles on the body? Meh.. whoop de doo
look at how much rust & body damage can occur in 100k-200k, let alone 1mill. One frame/cabin surviving through 6 motors & 2 transmissions is crazy.

~psguardian

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
littlegray said:
That's amazing! Not many people keep cars that long and drive that many miles. I wonder what he does for work? Seems like he'd be driving constantly with over 60k per year. Cool story.
I'm starting to wonder if maybe Volvo gave him a little money on the side to subsidize this endeavor.. It is good publicity =P

·
Registered
555 Posts
TKEPA251 said:
Kinda misleading wouldn't you say? My Rodeo has 161,xxx on the clock but she's on her second auto trans. I always mention that when I say my mileage, because its not all factory anymore.

Yea,I was totally impressed,then I found out that it was a lie. Here I was all amazed that the transmission had 3 million miles on it and now I find out it blew out at only a million and a half. What a piece of junk.... :shock:

·
Registered
676 Posts
mallen said:
TKEPA251 said:

Yea,I was totally impressed,then I found out that it was a lie. Here I was all amazed that the transmission had 3 million miles on it and now I find out it blew out at only a million and a half. What a piece of junk.... :shock:
Your sarcasm is hardly noticeable, sir.

I didn't call it a piece, I'm just sayin the article is VERY misleading

1 - 15 of 15 Posts