Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for an amigo or rodeo sport with a friend of mine this weekend. I have an 01 vehicross and have been to Uwharrie with all of you before (back in 2002 or so). Anyway, we went to moab 3 weeks ago and he has the itch (driving a cavalier). I've talked him out of a jeep and into an isuzu, and the convertible is important to him, as well as the fact I can work on his truck for him. The cool thing is the price range is huge, anywhere from 2000-8000. 8000 includes trading in his chevy cavalier, and 3000 is keeping the cavalier for trips to work and using the truck on the weekends. I don't know much about amigos or rodeo sports and I don't want to steer him the wrong way, I've searched the board here and I can't find buyer tips, anyone have any advice for me? I'd appreciate it, we'll be going tomorrow (4/30/2005). I live in Colorado Springs, and we have 5 on the list to look at from here to denver...
Here's the list

1998 Amigo 6cyl 99k - plain jane
1999 Amigo 6cyl 82k
1991 Amigo 4cyl 106k
1998 Amigo 6cyl 99k - loaded - this is the favorite
1990 Amigo - hardtop - don't know the mileage

Any advise would be appreciated.. thanks in advance

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is from an Isuzu noob, so take accordingly :wink:. I looked for three months to find my 2002 Rodeo Sport (rebadged Amigo). Three things -

1. Pay with cash if you can. Wonderous deals can be had with cash. I got over 5,000 knocked off because I paid with cash.

2. Try to get one with a hardtop and v6 - no 4 banger if you can. That v6 has killer power. Best thing about the hard top is that you can get a soft top from the salvage yard later - best of both worlds. I got all the hardware plus the top for 160 bucks from a local yard. Loaded is really nice since you get a lot of stuff on these vehicles.

3. Although I love my '02, I kind of wished I had gotten an '01, 00, or early 02 (I like the gauges on these years). These years, as well as a 98 and 99, allow you to switch to manual hubs - late models (January '02+) do not because of a new hub design. One thing the late '02s do give you though is a redesigned piston in the engine, which helped with oil burning issues.

Things to note:

- take your time.
- the auto trannies on these DO NOT have a dip stick for checking fluid levels.
- Look for a G80 code on the firewall - this means it has a D44 rear w/ Limited Slip (a nice feature - but they all have D44s)
- The alloy rims are 16" - the steel ones are 15" (correct me if I am wrong here)
- The older models (up to 94) allow you to use bigger tires without modifying the front wheel wells, but they do not come with v6s (2.4/2.6).

I know I have left a lot out and the others - like Amigo-2K - can answer a lot more than me.

-- Shon

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
02's also have bigger brakes in the front. This is the first Amigo/Sport that actually stops with confidence.

I recommend the hard top as well. It does come off but is a pain in the butt the first time. You will need a easy disconnect for the power to the third brake light. You will also need a hose cap for the washer hose.
Both of these things are connect "hard" to the hard top.

Wheel wise I have 31x11/16 SS Thornbirds on mine with no mods. Just a touch of rubbing on the mud flaps on full turns.

Anothe benifit of a late 02' is that the cd player might still work.

Mine is a 02' Black Rodeo Sport V6 4WD 19,500 miles for $10.5 K

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Stay away from the 89-94 Amigos, although they are nice and as reliable as any Isuzu, the rear panel behind the doors is a HUGE Blind spot. I can not begin to tell you how a 18 wheeler can be lost in that panel when trying to change lanes.....i agree with everyone else, go for the v6 hardtop. now the biggest deal would be go with the 02 or the 98-01s??? enigne issues, burning oil, CD working or gauges differences and non manual huibs, but bigger brakes----- OOOOO get a 99-01 and put in a 02 motor and brakes, but keep the older hubs, yeah yeah thats it- with everything Isuzu there is ALOT of give and take
let us know what you decide

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.