Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this is my first post here, I am a car newb manically but trying to learn to save money...
Not sure if this is a drive train issue or what :(

Okay to start off
Year of vehicle: 1999
Make: Isuzu
Model: Amigo
engine size: 3.2L V6 DOHC 24V FI Engine
mileage: 140,000

Main issue: the Check Engine light is on
Code shown: Don't know the exact code number but relates to EGR valve

When i found out the code for issue when the check engine light first came on I looked up the code online and came up with a simple answer.
Clean the EGR valve here is the site that came up
http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/~greg/rodeo/egr.htm
Since i do not have a lot of time with college and work I brought it to Sears to ask if they could take a look and clean it.
They told me i needed a new EGR valve and that cleaning it would not fix the issue. So i paid the 270+ for the new valve and labor. I took it down the road and the check engine light came back on.
I drove back and they said i had to take the whole manifold off and clean it to get the light to turn off and they would not do the job.
Sadden by this I took it to Meineke.

Meineke people said it was not the manifold because they checked the carbon build up and it was fine. They said the issue is the connecter to the wiring harness going to the ERG valve.
They said they didn't have the part but they could install if once i found it.
After a week of searching i got the part from a junk yard and brought it to them.
They installed and I drove off happy as a clam till 3 miles down the road the check engine turn back on....
I called back and they said they will have to check it again next week...

Here are the issues i been having since the check engine lights been on
bad gas mileage (it has been horrible $20 every 3 days of average 30mile a day driving. was never like this before)
shaky driving (once Sears put in the EGR valve the car drove really smooth until the light turned back on)
Smell of gas/exhaust (starting the car or just driving it around I will get wiffs of really bad exhaust smells but it's every now and then)
tachometer going from 0 to 1 while idling (i don't know if its always done this or if this is because of the issue just something i noticed)

The Check engine light has gone off randomly for days to weeks at a time but hasn't yet since the new harness was installed.
It seems to go off when its raining out and go back on when going over 60mph but could just be coincidence

Also first time EGR valve was replaced after a week it cracked on the bottom right side next to the bolt
Sears replaced it saying it was either a dud part or someone bolted it in to hard...

(Just adding this in now the engine was just replaced on this car with a rebuilt one)

Thanks for reading this all any advice will help going back to Meineke Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Knowing the exact code would be helpful here but it sounds to me like it will be a p0401. Go to Autozone or similar type place and read the codes yourself with their scan tool. Your stories anger me as these places clearly are just ripping you off by tossing parts at the car. Mieneke telling you that they "checked the carbon buildup and it was fine" is a bunch of crap. Ask them exactly how they checked it because it requires removing the throttle body.

If it is a p0401, which is common, the thing that needs to happen to remove the throttle body and clean the EGR tube. It will be right behind the throttle body. A good stiff chunk of wire will loosen the crud and it will be hard and nasty. Vacuum up the chunks so they don't get in your engine.

The EGR system is actually very simple. There is a passage from the exhaust that leads back to the intake. The EGR valve is what the ECM uses to control the flow. Just like a water hose with a spigot on it. The spigot is the EGR valve. Sometimes, the "end" of the hose gets plugged up. It happens to every car and is probably unavoidable. The "end" of the hose in the EGR system is inside the intake manifold where the exhaust gasses exit into the engine. Oil vapor from the PCV system mixes with carbon particles and they stick to everything and eventually plug up the opening, causing a p0401. Simply unclogging the opening is all that is needed to fix this.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I just did that job to my amigo the other day, actualy fairly easy. Strange to see that pipe just hangin out in there lol. You can flip open the butter fly and look in with a flashlight for a quick check.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So maybe the wire harness was the issue I went to Car Quest today to get my codes read here is what came up
P0171
System to lean
and
P1133
code was to high to read...
Anyway thanks for all the fast replies was going to call my friend to help me clean my EGR hose but if it is something else I wont bother with that.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Well it's an easy place to start. Just take care in pulling off the butterfly assembly try not to tear the gasket. Wrap it with a plastic screw driver handle.
Good luck !!!! Keep us updated ....

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Thinking of your wiring harness was it an exact match ??? Might be the reason for the funky codes.
What happened to your old one ???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the Wiring harness was to a what looked like a 99 Rodeo. The wires matched up so I am not sure... Meineke took the hold harness not sure what they did with it.. it could be long gone by now :?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That sucks my friend, I'm sorry your getting jacked around !!!!
Work with what ya got then. If you have a gun cleaning kit or something similar, that little bristle brush long handle would help a lot. No bigger than about a pencil.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
DTC P1133 is Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor insufficient switching, which means the sensor is probably defective or mis-wired.

DTC P0171 is Bank 1 Fuel Trim Too Lean, probably because the O2 sensor is not working. It controls the air/fuel ratio in closed loop mode.

I recommend you change the O2 sensor located between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter on the right (passenger) side of the vehicle if the sensor wiring appears to factory original. If a universal fit sensor has been installed it could be mis-wired.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Neither of those codes has anything to do with the EGR system. You been hosed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CatFuzz said:
Well the first error code I did get was for the EGR the new harness or new Valve might of cleared that one now these 2 are showing up.
Hopefully i seen the last of the EGR code :/

DTC P1133 is Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor insufficient switching, which means the sensor is probably defective or mis-wired.

DTC P0171 is Bank 1 Fuel Trim Too Lean, probably because the O2 sensor is not working. It controls the air/fuel ratio in closed loop mode.

I recommend you change the O2 sensor located between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter on the right (passenger) side of the vehicle if the sensor wiring appears to factory original. If a universal fit sensor has been installed it could be mis-wired.
[/qoute]

I called Autozone today and asked how much are the O2 sensor for my car.
The guy on the other line asked me for the front or rear?
I was unsure and said both but i guess both of them go for $52
... I am guessing i just need the front one? but should i buy both just in case?

Anyway THANKS again everyone for their help in input i hope i can fix this thing once and for all!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gr33n said:
CatFuzz said:
Well the first error code I did get was for the EGR the new harness or new Valve might of cleared that one now these 2 are showing up.
Hopefully i seen the last of the EGR code :/

I called AutoZone today and asked how much is the O2 sensor for my car.
The guy on the other line asked me for the front or rear?
I was unsure and said both.
he told me each of them go for $52
... I am guessing i just need the front one? but should i buy both just in case?

Anyway THANKS again everyone for their help in input i hope i can fix this thing once and for all!
Sorry Admins for all the edits :/

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
All four sensors are the same, save the second one for a spare. Also, make sure the sensor you buy has the correct connector that mates with the vehicle connector, that way you know it is wired properly when you install it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry he didn't say front or back he said upstream or downstream not sure what this means.
At the rockauto site www.rockauto.com I can look up the excact mode of my car there are a few parts that show up under oxygen sensor but nothing seems to cost over $40

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know it makes no sense at all but I am going to share my experience with you. I was having all the exact same problems (same codes AND symptoms) as you and changed all the O2 sensors, changed the Mass Air Flow sensor, the EGR, the cats, just about everything. I battled that problem for about a year and one day after getting desperate I decided to swap out the Throttle Position sensor. My 2000 Rodeo has never run better now. I have great throttle response, full power, no codes after 1000 miles, better gas mileage again. It doesn't cost too much and is a super easy swap. All you need is a phillips screwdriver to take out the 6 screws and just pull it off and put on the new one. It is the thing on the left side of the throttle body (the part where the intake goes into the engine. Just unplug the cord and take out the 6 screws, put the new one on and plug the wire back in. Like I said, I know it makes no sense but i just thought I would share.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks kharvey! I'll Try that if the 02 Sensor if that doesn't work... I love my Amigo and even though it has made me a broke man :cry: I will still try to kick this thing dumb Check engine light!
So Throttle Position sensor.... I wonder if there is anyplace that shows how to install that or the 02 Senor... i don't have 100$ right now to pay a mechanic to do it barely have enough money for the 02 Sensor.
I'll keep you guys updated

On a brighter note Traveling to go apple picking with my girl friend I saw a Vehicross on the road. First time I ever saw one in real life it was pretty awesome. G/F was confused why i was so excited by seeing a car :lol:
here is a pic

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Lol they just don't get it sometimes huh ???? Checking or changing your tps isn't to hard it's right on the throttle valve. Do you have a Haynes book??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts