Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a newer Amigo to replace my 89 with.

I definitely want a v-6 with manual tranny but can't decide between the 4x4 or 4x2. My last Amigo was the 4x2 and there was only 1 or 2 occasions when it would have been nice to have the 4 wheel drive option (mud).

I'm not sure I want to haul around 2 or 300lbs of weight (at a guess) for something I'll rarely need as most of my driving is highway and occasional poorly maintained dirt roads (though no rock crawling or snow).

Does anyone know just how much weight the 4 wheel drive adds to the car? And how does this effect the 0 to 60 time and gas mileage?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I'd say it adds about 200-300 pounds. How much will that matter when you are talking about a truck that has 200+ horsepower. Not much.

A full tank of gas will weigh 170 pounds.

Can you really tell the difference in performance if you have two buddies in the truck with you?

Anyway, you should check out the Migo over on the wire for sale in Cinci OH. It's a 98 4x4 5 speed V6 and he's asking 3750 for it. Very good deal IMHO.

Joe

·
Registered
825 Posts
if 2wd suits your needs, then it will save you money in the long run... Less weight, means less fuel consumed... another consideration, is that, many "modern" 4wd systems, have no way of unlocking the front hubs, so the front axle, is always turning, even when you are in 2wd. This translates to minor friction, and the need to replace CV-joints and CV-boots more frequently. (not to mention, the front axles continuasly recieves some minor wear).... I love having manual hubs on my rodeo, it assures me that my front axle is only in service and spinning, when I want it to be, other than those times, it's just some extra weight.

I don't think i'll ever buy a vehicle, who's front axle always spins regardless of whether the 4wd is engaged, it's just a poor design, that wears out parts faster.

on the other hand- having 4wd, is amazing in snow-covered roads. Many people make the arguement that having 4wd, doesn't mean you can stop any better... well, this is sortof true... but I disagree for the most part.... having all 4 wheels locked into the same speed, makes a big difference, the braking power is distrubuted evenly, regardless of the ratio of actual braking power from front to back on the vehicle. and you can use down-shifting, for smooth breaking distrubited to all 4 wheels equally. I am routinally amazed, by the difference between 2wd and 4wd on ice. (i live in colorado springs, so we have a lot of hills to negociate).... Back when I had auto-locking hubs... one experience comes to mind... I was in 2wd, on the way home from a friends house, I had to stop at a light on a hill... when I tried to get going, I very gently, held the brake, and let out the clutch at idle untill the engine started to lug, so that I wouldn't roll back any, I slowly transitioned from letting off the brake, to engaging the clutch... the rear wheel broke loose under idle power and started spinning, and I started rolling backwars... I had done everything I could to make a gentle start to evoid this, and it didn't work... So I hit the brakes again, and put it in 4wd, I tried to get going again, and as soon as those front hubs locked up, it was like driving on pavement, I was moving with no problems. This one experience alone, would be enough to justify having 4wd. (but I also enjoy the 4-low and go camping/4-wheeling in the summer)..

Another experience I had.... while driving home in a blizzard in a front-wheel-drive 88 accord.. has also made me apreciate 4wd even more... I was driving through 4-8 inches of snow on the highway, trying to stay in the ruts of the 18 wheelers that were negociating the same mountain pass, I was the only 2wd passenger car still moving from what I could tell, (most were stranded off to the side of the highway, or stuck in the middle, and the rest of us were negociating our way around the stuck vehciles)..... Now.. I could say I was lucky that I was still moving, (old accords are notorious for being very good in snow/ice, lots of weight over the front axle). But.... I got into some very hairy situations, that a 4wd, would not have encountered... I was driving in the tracks left by cemi trucks, in an attempt to keep moving, often following them just to see where I was going, (visibility was awfull, following the tailights of the big trucks, was all I could do to make my way home)... Now... as I mentioned, I was on a "mountain" pass... highway. (raton pass, souther colorado, spring of 2004 i think, major blizzard, dropped, 2-3 feet of snow over 8 hours).. so the risk was pretty high... and a particular phenomenon, kept happening, as a result of having a 2wd... the wheels, that were not "driven"... would ride up on the edges of the ruts left by the larger vehicles, and pull sideways, very hard... so the rear of my vehicle, without warning, several times, would suddenly "swing" outwards from my path of travel, spinning me into a demension of -steering-into-skid/avoiding 18wheelers/avoiding stuck-vehicles/avoiding-cliff-of-impending-doom/avoiding-snowbanks- all while skidding sidways down a highway next to a cliff at 20-30mph.

I have vivid memories of that night, I even have nightmares of that night... Having 4wd, would have made that night, a lot more tollerable, and a lot less life-threatening.

sorry to ramble, just another story to consider.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Living where I live I'd never own a 2wd suv or truck. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. We get quite a bit of snow here, no 2-3 feet but for the east coast we get some snow. 8-10 inches isn't unusual.

Joe

·
Registered
558 Posts
i know for the 4speed tranny and 8bolt front axle 4x4 adds less than 200lbs. I have a 78 thats a long bed 2wd that wieghs 2400lbs and my 80 4x4 short bed wieghs 2600lbs.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If it aint Front wheel drive it should be 4WD!!!!

The only RWD autos out there should be sport cars.

The resale values of 4wd are higher as well and you get
to wear the "badge" that says "I have a 4wd truck"

4wd also helps in a bad rain storm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the opinions/responses, everyone makes lots of good points both for and against. While I'd prefer the 4x2 ( I see snow about once every ten years) I could probably live happily with a 4x4 soft or hard top at this point IF I could just find one at a dealership that isn't on the other side of the country (need to finance), also nearly all V-6's I've found seem to be auto and I don't want another 4 cyl (for all the obvious reasons).

·
Registered
558 Posts
I know in my 80 Isuzu i almost never need the 4x4 on the road. The way i look at it only running 2wd keeps me honest. If the truck dosnt whant to go fast and what not while maintaining controll why should I? I realy only use my transfer case to get trailers out of the back yard (it gets perty muddy) and off road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.