Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Am I living in a parallel universe?

432 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  trooper T/diesel 
#1 ·
Ok, I got rope in to helping some guys out with an '88 2.6 Trooper that was a basket case, top end had been torn down because of bad head, you know the story.. Anyway, they got a new head got it bolted on, haphazardly put some of the stuff back on it and requested some help... So I went down there, the fuel lines are on reversed, were not routed thru the pressure regulator at all, vacuum lines off all over the place, etc... a complete mess. So they're telling me that they got it to start up on Thursday but it ran away so they shut it down. Story goes it was firing on all cylinders, just running like the pedal was on the floor. First thing I do is check the timing and it was 180 degrees out. They had the rotor pointed at #1 at TDC. I fixed that as well as spend an hour or so hooking up lines tot he right places, etc... Spent several hours on it today and never could get it to fire. They're insisting that it ran fast and smooth when pointed at #1 at TDC when checked at the cam..... So far as I know this is impossible... Am I missing something here? Was there a 2.6 that fired on #1 that I'm not aware of?

#3 ·
Timing was 180 out, rotor at #1, therefore, they must have had the plug wires reversed in order to run, right?

#4 ·
Yeah, I dunno.... they're both telling me that it ran like that... I'm like "no way".. and they're like "yeah huh"... I just wanted to post this unless someone had info on an a/m cam or something that would cause it to run set up like that.... I'm gonna have to pull the entire intake and valve cover and start from scratch.... just too many unknowns.

#5 ·
Don't know if this will help at all. I have a 1.9 G-200 engine that I pulled the head off for a valve job. I couldn't see the timing marks on the cam and head. (to much dirt). So I put no.1 on TDC aligning the zero mark with the dist rotor pointing to no.1wire. I wired the cam and cam sproket and pulled the head. When I got the head back from the shop the marks were aligned on the head and cam. When I tried to put the cam sproket back on I had to put No. 4 on TDC for the cam sproket to fit on the cam. After adjusting the valves and putting it all back together it fired right up. I would suspect a 2.3 and 2.6 to be the same but don't really know for sure.

#6 ·
2.3 and 2.6 are basically the same. I have no knowledge or any experience with the 1.9

#7 ·
1.8 and 1.9L are a different engine family then 2.3/2.6L

i mean the Dizzy is to the front and that's "VERY different" than a 2.3L 2.6L

only thing i know of that can swap to a 2.3/2.6 from a 1.9L is the trans cause the bell housing is the same.
but even that is not bolt in, cause ones cable and ones HYD clutch, and the 2.6L uses a bigger clutch than the 1.8, 1.9, 2.3L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.