Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into swapping out my 91 2.8 alt. 3.4 is going in later on, and want to put a higher output alt. in. I see they have aftermarket and what not, but I'm not really wanting to pay the money for them. I'm not sure if there is another chevy alt that can be swapped in with a little bracket and wiring.

I keep searching but it's all aftermarket results. Am I out of luck? I'm waiting til Monday to grab a Chevy 1500 v6 alt. from a buddy at his shop to compare and see the differences.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
There were some high output alts on various GM Vehicles. Cop Cars being one of them. Take a look at your local parts stores and bring yours for comparison. GM used the same alternator body across several platforms

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well finally got to compare a 01 chevy alternator that pumps out 105 amps. The main mounting point is the same width as most chevy's are. The top is the same width as the main one and not a tab like the 2.8. Also the connection on the alternator is 2 and not 4. The guy says they have conversion wires for this things. I just pickup a 2000 yukon 130 amp alternator for $50. It's the same housing as the 01, but the yukons had bigger opt so I want to see how this works.

Just filling ya'll in!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
AlexXx said:
Well finally got to compare a 01 chevy alternator that pumps out 105 amps. The main mounting point is the same width as most chevy's are. The top is the same width as the main one and not a tab like the 2.8. Also the connection on the alternator is 2 and not 4. The guy says they have conversion wires for this things. I just pickup a 2000 yukon 130 amp alternator for $50. It's the same housing as the 01, but the yukons had bigger opt so I want to see how this works.

Just filling ya'll in!
Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Give these guys a call, very willing to help and knowledgeable about alts. They also sell various pigtails(adaperts) for alts.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/

-C

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far from what I am reading. The 2.8 alt. is a CS130 style, it has three small prongs and a big prong and only a one wire connection. The yukon 130 amp alt. is a AD244, this has four small prongs and is a four wire connection. It also is a 6 groove pulley, but no fan on front.

Don't be confused with the cs130d which is the alt found on 4.3L gm motors. They have the same connection in the later gens. The early had two wire connectors.

Perks about this swap...it bolts in with the moddin' of the bracket thats connected to the block. Unlike the 4.3 the mounting points are cast on the block. 2.8 lucked out. The belt will have to be longer, not sure how much yet.

Hopefully the alt. comes in by Friday. Got it on ebay, but it's common at junkyards. Here in Louisiana its so humid parts are ruined faster just sitting there. I'll get pics of the comparison soon!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I contacted alternatorparts, they are very quick on replying by email.

This is how easy wiring is:

"The AD244 only needs one wire to the plug and one the battery post wire to work. The one wire to the plug is the "L" wire just like the CS130.
If you look at the AD244 you will see small letters on the black plastic part where the plug goes. It will say PLFS, you only need the "L" ignition wire to activate it. The ad244 type plug is our part # C130D, It has 4 wires but you only need the one L wire."

So simple!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts