Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Isuzu Amigo X 2.6L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi technically not new to the forum, but started a new account because I recently acquired a ‘93 Isuzu Amigo. I had installed a new slave cylinder because it apparently went bad. I’ve replace the door handle and I also got an oil change as well.

i just had it die on my driving home the other day and it won’t start. I had installed a new battery the day before so I know the all battery is good. So I jumped the Amigo and it’s started right up, I hooked up a multimeter to the battery and it had only around a 12 volt charge, but then it started going down slowly all the way down to 7 volts before it stalled so I assume it’s the alternator. I also checked the alternator with the multimeter and it showed erratic numbers in the 200 range or so. I am pretty sure this is an alternator issue and it needs to replaced. Just wondering if anyone has any information on installation of the alternator or a maybe a video describing or showing the installation. Many of my other vehicles have videos online of work being performed so it makes it easier for me to do it right, but I understand the age of the vehicle and rarity of it doesn’t have much information for it.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
On a 2.6 it's pretty straightforward. You disconnect the battery ground. On the other side of the car you find the alternator. Loosen the 12 mm (usually) bolt on the tension arm, loosen the 14MM bolt / nut on the pivot (bottom), push the alternator in towards the engine block to loosen / remove the belt. Remove the 10 MM nut on th eback of the alternator that has the main power cable, unplug the electrical plug, remove the tensioner bolt (may also need to loosen tensioner arm pivot bolt at block end), remove lower alternator pivot bolt, and remove alternator. Reverse to install.
Note that the alternator has a safety circuit built into it that powers up the fuel pump relay. If the alternator stops charging, the fuel pump usually shuts off (unless the electrical circuit has been altered). Dennis
If shipping wasn't so bad, I have a good 93 alternator in my attic.

·
Registered
1993 Isuzu Amigo X 2.6L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a 2.6 it's pretty straightforward. You disconnect the battery ground. On the other side of the car you find the alternator. Loosen the 12 mm (usually) bolt on the tension arm, loosen the 14MM bolt / nut on the pivot (bottom), push the alternator in towards the engine block to loosen / remove the belt. Remove the 10 MM nut on th eback of the alternator that has the main power cable, unplug the electrical plug, remove the tensioner bolt (may also need to loosen tensioner arm pivot bolt at block end), remove lower alternator pivot bolt, and remove alternator. Reverse to install.
Note that the alternator has a safety circuit built into it that powers up the fuel pump relay. If the alternator stops charging, the fuel pump usually shuts off (unless the electrical circuit has been altered). Dennis
If shipping wasn't so bad, I have a good 93 alternator in my attic.
Hi Dennis

Well if it was only shipping costs to pay and you’re just giving me the alternator then I could cover that, probably a lot cheaper then a new or rebuild one. Lol

What’s the amps on that alternator? The highest one I am finding is around 60 amps…. I may end up installing a sound system, nothing too serious, but may have that additional draw from the alternator as well. Also I’m regards to the fuel pump, it starts right up when it has a full charge on battery, but if the alternator isn’t charging anymore then it basically slowly stops running, which is what happened to me.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
No, by time shipping was added to costs and trouble for packing and taking to shipper, it wouldn't be worth the costs. I don't know the amperage. Dennis

·
Registered
1993 Isuzu Amigo X 2.6L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, by time shipping was added to costs and trouble for packing and taking to shipper, it wouldn't be worth the costs. I don't know the amperage. Dennis
Hopefully you are still around as I finally got to installing this alternator. I forgot I had this post up so I had created a new one earlier. Anyway I managed to get the top bolt off and remove the belt. The bottom bolt apparently is held on by a bolt with a nut on it. I remove the nut off the front and then the bolt is suppose to slide out from the back. Problem is the bolt slides into a part on the car which allows it to go no further to remove so I can’t remove the alternator now. Did your alternator have this setup as well?
If so, how did you end up removing that bolt?
I am including a picture of it as well.

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
It is supposed to come out the front. IIRC, it is really a threaded shaft. If you have extra metric nuts, you might double nut the front and try removing the rear nut. In the event it is actually a long bolt, you may have to remove the entire bracket. I have done a BUNCH of alternator R+Rs and the only real problem I ever encountered was a few that had vibrated a groove making it hard to slide the bolt out. Dennis

·
Registered
1993 Isuzu Amigo X 2.6L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is supposed to come out the front. IIRC, it is really a threaded shaft. If you have extra metric nuts, you might double nut the front and try removing the rear nut. In the event it is actually a long bolt, you may have to remove the entire bracket. I have done a BUNCH of alternator R+Rs and the only real problem I ever encountered was a few that had vibrated a groove making it hard to slide the bolt out. Dennis
So I was able to get it out by wedge a crowbar in there and lightly tapping it to wedge the bolt out as the clearance was very little. I was able to get it installed and good to go. Thank you for your help! 😁

1 - 7 of 7 Posts