Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the past few weeks dealing with alternators. I've rebuilt one, bought one, bought pulleys, belts, regulators, brushes, drill bits, more belts, and a 14mm ratcheting wrench. I have learned a lot however.

This all started out because my original (190k mile) alternator was getting tired. It would charge OK at speed, but at idle I'd have to be careful with accessories to keep the voltage above 12.

One of our members wrote an article coving the install of a Delco alternator on his 96 Trooper.
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/99

I had a Delco 12SI from a previous project that didn't look much different than the one that he installed, so I set off to install it. To make a long story short, I'm giving up. The real issue is that the case of the Delco is too large. I can't get a belt on it that can be adjusted. The case touches the engine block and leaves about 1/2" of space for adjustment in the bracket. I could potentially relocate a coolant line for the oil cooler, and get the alternator in closer to the block, but at this point I've wasted too much time and won't do more than take a few more pics of the install before it gets taken out.

I purchased a reman'd alternator for $157.19 from a local parts house, instead of paying $25 for a new pulley (I reamed out the old one to fit the Delco) for my old failing alternator. It is a 75 amp alternator (I'm not sure that my Delco was even capable of the 105 amps that it claimed based on the performance that I saw), and it fits.

The specs from the test sheet are:

Turn on RPM: 1100
Off Lamp Volts: 0.9
On Lamp Volts: 14.4
Amps @ 2000RPM: 37
Amps @ 5000RPM: 75
AC Ripple: 1
Regulator Set Voltage: 14.5

Keep in mind that the idle RPM for this alternator is going to be somewhere around 2000rpm. The crank pulley is somewhere between 2 and 3 times the size of the alternator pulley, and engine idle speed is 850rpm.

For those who are interested, it's model 71-13521 (That's Lester #13521)

Beck Arney sells a replacement as well that's around $240 under part #186-0691.

That number can then be used to buy parts like regulators: http://www.vicic.com.tw/alternators/a806290d.htm

-Tad

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's realy good you posted this, Tad.

My alternator is dead again (remember i had to change it last year in Uwharrie :evil: ).

If you know, could you please post as to which car the Delco alternator that is in the article came out of?
I think it's a 13SI, but i'm not sure.

I tried 7 different Delco units yesterday at work, but some of them (like in your case were too big) and some of them were perfect fit, but had either longer or shorter ears (and they were shorter or longer by 1/2").

TIA

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That appears to be the 130 series. 130CS for instance. Either that or a 10SI (based on the fan). The 10SI and 12SI (what I tried) both *will* fit, but it's quite tight. If you could work out a tensioner, they'd be fine.

A 12SI should be REAL cheap on the web if you want to try it.

-Tad

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, i tied both 10SI & 12 SI as well and both of them i couldn't fit because of the line ( i didn't realy look wether it was the tranny line or a water line). The body was just bigger than the space.
Also the fan wasn't clearing the bracket.

Now the 130 series did fit, but like i posted above had either long or short ears.

I'm gonna order CS144 120amp unit this week and see if it'll fit.

If it works i'll post which car it came from and how i wired it up (i'm gonna try to avoid bypassing the factory wireing and use it instead of running a new charge wire).

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I had to turn the fan down to clear the top mounting bracket. I was able to do that with a small grinding stone and the engine running. It was probably a bad idea, but the fan just touched the bracket. I held the stone on the fan (with some vice grips) until the fan didn't rub.

The alternator did touch the water hose (it's a hose from the oil cooler line). That is the reason for a larger belt. With the 12SI you won't have much room for adjustment at all (1/2" to 3/4"). I hope that the 144 has a smaller case.

For 120amps, I'd certainly run an additional charge wire. Your pushing twice the current through, and I don't want to read that you've had an electrical fire next week :)

I was able to wire the other harness without modification to the factory wiring.

-Tad

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tad said:
For 120amps, I'd certainly run an additional charge wire. Your pushing twice the current through, and I don't want to read that you've had an electrical fire next week :)

I was able to wire the other harness without modification to the factory wiring.

-Tad
Well, i wouldn't want that too, but you know how i am, i'll probably try and run a bigger charge wire using the existing connectors to the fuse box (with a bigger fuse).
I don't know, first the damn thing have to fit there and than i'll be thinking how to wire it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.