Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like yer input on this one.

i toasted my 2nd alternator and just bought the third. now - it is a given that i will kill another.

i have read up that there is no way (unless you cut a hole in the hood as smiley says) to relocate the alternator north.

i am thinking some sort of shroud, or shield to stop 90% of the mud that hits it.

if i understand correctly, it is not the water but the mud. so - if there was a guard - would that stop mud from hitting the alternator?

i know i have been over and under this thing countless times trying to find a solution.

there has to be one.

thoughts?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I thought about bending a little cover for mine out of a little sheet of thin stainless steel or something, and attaching it to it with jb weld or something, but never got around to doing it. I haven't killed an alternator yet so it hasn't been a presssing matter.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Sounds to me like you'd be trading one problem for another -- I mean, sure, you'll protect it from mud, but at the expense of cooling it when you're out driving around on the highway (alternators aren't exactly good friends with mud *OR* heat). Ideally, a removable guard that maybe covered the bottom 1/3rd of the alternator. Maybe you could use some extra-strength aluminum foil and that alumanized tape they use for HVAC ducts to attach it, and then remove it once you're back on the road.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Metal screen door material!! I'm brilliant! We could wrap it in the screen door stuff, and with a dab of JB weld it would stick. Wrap it in a couple layers, and it should might catch the mud and let the air flow through. Then you could tear it off if it gets covered. 8) Oh yeah....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm not sure if it was stock or not, but when I swapped my first alternator, it had a small shield attached to the bracket that protected the bottom of the alt. It was sheet metal, with some heavy ruberized fabric, like what is used in the wheel wells. It seems to aleast deflect the mud from splashing up, but it wouldn't do much good if it's deep enough to submerge the alt.

I'll see if I have any pictures from when I had it out.

Andre

·
Registered
478 Posts
Some of the local mudders wrap the bottom portion of their engines (around the skid plates, obviously not the engine block itself) with plastic wrap or tarps. This prevents a good bit of the mud from going up in their engine bays....

But.....

These are the same ******** running 42" swampers on dana 30's and 44s hooked up to 460's and larger, so i take their advice with a grain of salt, but it might be worth a try.... :lol:
-J :wink:

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was also thinking something flexible, (think rubber bag) this could just slip over the alternator for off road, then just as easy, take it off for on road.

how easy is it to over heat an alt though?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I was thinking a foam pre filter for air filters if you can find one the right size. Should keep alot of the mud out and still let the alt breath. If the alt gets too hot the epoxy on the coil windings breaks down then the coils will short together. Would hate to kill an alt by over heating it trying to keep the mud out.

Something like this but smaller around..

LINK

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but how would that attach? i guess you would have to buy a few and somehow sew them together, eh?

i like this thread, i think i may try to fab something up (right after i install the new alt, that is :lol:

edit: here is a alt. shield for a landrover....granted, its just a heat shield but who knows what this may do to someones imagination..

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I dunno, a foam filter for a wet/dry vac would be about the right size to slip on & off.

Still gonna catch it from the front though.

Better than nothing I suppose.

Staying out of deep mud alltogether seems to work pretty good.

There's allways sand, rocks, gravel pits and my personel favorite snow.

Snow allows me to travel far from home in search of it, become way over confident & it cunningly conceals that one in a million big rock or hole which I will proceed to dead center every time.

This allows me to really screw something up far from home. :roll:

Usually a tie rod or something else essential to getting back home.

Maybe mud's not so bad after all.

:lol:

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
i would like yer input on this one.

i toasted my 2nd alternator and just bought the third. now - it is a given that i will kill another.
So, are you working on breaking my record? :lol: :wink:

Thanks to a little purchase that I made from Tad, for the first time ever, I now have a spare for when the inevitable 8th (* 9th or 10th?) one fails.

(* I've honestly lost count! :oops: )

i have read up that there is no way (unless you cut a hole in the hood as smiley says) to relocate the alternator north.
If you have a body lift, there *might* be enough room to squeeze an alternator between the top of the motor and the hood without cutting any sheet metal.

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there must be more room under the hood of a 1st gen, cause the way i see - there is no way, no how and no where to move it northward on mine.

the sad truth about this alt. guard is that the testing will go like this:

hey lets put on my brand new mud guard!
now lets go wheelin'
lets wait two weeks
uh oh, canned another alternator!
lets try a new design of mud guard!
lets go wheelin'!
lets wait two weeks
uh oh! :lol:

also - you figure a mudded alternator just needs a good cleaning or just send it to be rebuilt? worked fine the day before it got messy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.