Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must have a alternator and clutch made on a Wednesday! Both my clutch and alternator has 180,000 miles. What is the longest life has anyone gotten from their OEM clutch and alternator? Another question..... if your alternator had 180,000 miles on it would you run it until it quit or go ahead a replace it before it does? I am planing on taking a trip to the Outerbanks and was considering buying one and having it with me and taking the tools to replace it if it decided to die.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Although I havn't run an isuzu yet, (just got an old one to play with) I have had a lot of alternators on other vehicles quit when they got up there in mileage, brushes wore out and lost contact. On the subaru I'd take them apart and bend the tabs down that held the brushes and get some more life out of them. A spare would be a good idea. Cluches on the other hand usually go out gradually when they're worn out, (but not always) If the driver is aware of what's going on and doesn't push the clutch into slipping when it gets weak, it can last awhile after it starts slipping. I have driven for months with a slipping clutch just by being careful with it, gearing down and taking it easy on hill climbs. Someone with no mechanical sense may fail to sense when their engine is over revving for the road speed on a climb and kill the clutch fast when it starts slipping.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I got 305,000 out of my OEM clutch.

Should've changed it at 300,000 - if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Got 185,000 out of the original - then the dash lights went wacky. Had it rebuilt.

Now has 260,000 and it just went thru another rebuild.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Depends how and where you drive. If you drive your truck like a taxi the clutch may not last until 100,000miles. If you only drive on the highway it could outlast the vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea It still feels as tight as it did new. What is your guys advice on the alternator? Would you wait until it dies or go ahead and change it? It has 180,000 miles also.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Well I bought my rodeo from the original owner and he said it was the original clutch. That kinda worried me, but now that I've had it for a while, I'm very confident with it. 208,xxx miles and It still feels great! I'm not sure about the alternator, but you may wanna just buy a spare and carry it with you just in case. That may be horrible advise being that I've never priced one! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts