Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 Trooper, 1st generation, SOHV, auto transmission not down shifting. Advice given on forum is alternator, which after testing is the culprit. My choices seem to be Bosch, Denso, or salvage yard for $35. Any advice on which route as well as advice on removing would be appreciated!

Steve

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have a 95 rodeo with the alternator about to go too. so i'll be asking the same question. also, how hard is it to change the alternator?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It's not too bad to change. Just a few wires and a couple of bolts. But it's not that easy. It will take some time as it's just a pain to get to. I have always tried to get my electronics from NAPA their Starters and alternators seem to hold up much better than Advance or Autozone type stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not looking forward to working on the alt. I adjusted the belt tension to see if that might be an issue. Pain in the arse at first, but easier the second time I did some adjusting. I'll let you know how it goes. Friday will be project day!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
my neighbor checked it out and said it was some bearing in it about to go. so the hardest part of changing it is getting to it? ahhhh what fun.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Just had mine taken out. Did not take long at all. (96 rodeo). I want to say maybe an hour-if that.

Now putting it back on-that turned into 3 1/2 hours-broke something and had to run to the hardware store.

Good luck!

(oh, had mine rebuilt $68, one from the parts store-$148)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might have lucked out. I might be looking at some sort of electrical issue. I dropped my tranny into 4x4 H to lube the front diff a bit and low and behold, the voltage, shifting and all other issues disappeared! The downside, I have no idea where the electrical problem might be located.
What was the turn around time to get your alternator rebuilt? That might be a better option than dropping $165.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.