Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a drive train but didnt know where else to put this on ,

Ihave a 2002 Holden Frontera 3.2 V6 (isuzu rodeo) and the airconditioner compressor has seized , al prices here in Australia have come back at $1200.00 just for for an aftermarket compressor, the mechanic said that due to the compressor seizing there may be some metal filings "swarf" in the condensor and or evaporator unit so they will have to be removed and flushed or the units replaced alltogether , all up we are quoted $2500.00 , this includes receiver dryer and tx valve replaced etc.

Anyone been through this before ? i have never heard of metal filings from the compressor and potenitally blocking the condensor etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same trouble with my 99 Frontera, been like it since I bought it 3 years ago. Have looked around and asked on all the forums as well. Seem to remember someone once replied to me saying that he got a compressor, receiver, condenser and hoses from a RA Rodeo and modded the bracket to make it fit.

This link may be worth a look as well, get parts a lot cheaper from the US than here in Oz. Remember that the Isuzu Rodeo in US is the same as our Frontera.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Air-Conditi ... odel=Rodeo

Cheers

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
It is very possible that there is debris in the system and flushing is required to ensure the new compressor wont suffer the same fate. However, I don't see the need to remove the evaporator and condenser from the vehicle to flush them. Flushing also ensures the dirty oil is removed so when the new oil is added the correct amount is in the system and is clean. The dryer should be replaced any time the compressor is changed. The bottom line is the entire system needs to be absolutely clean and have the correct amount and type oil in the system as well as the correct amount of refrigerant to operate properly. 1200 AUD seems steep for a compressor, a quality reman unit in the US is about 275 AUD without the core. Cheaper yet on eBay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys , much appreciated . A condensor here is $350.00 and evaporator is $225.00 , the mechanic said he would undo the lines to check for debris , hopefully its all ok , he suggested to replace the timing belt as it has done 162,000 kms / 100,000 miles , I can get a kit with belt , tensioner and pulley for $295.00 and i have an alternator ready to go in which cost me $310.00 so i might get him to do the lot all at once since it may save me labour in the long run , i heard if the timing belt lets go i,m up for a heap of dollars ....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
over here i can get a 1998 / 2001 compressor for $950.00 but apparently they changed the compressor type for 2002 or to be exact they say August 2001 . COMPRESSOR HOLDEN FRONTERA 98-01
Location: VIC Feedback: 5,808 | 99.6%Watch this item AU $947.24 Free
Maybe a Jackeroo "i think you call them a trooper" compressor would also siut but from memory they ran a 3.5litre engine so maybe not ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow , you guys in the USA are so lucky , Ebay shows a timing belt kit for $120.00 , thats cheap ! wish it were like that here.....

·
Registered
877 Posts
gvaughan said:
...i heard if the timing belt lets go i,m up for a heap of dollars ....
The 3.2L V6 is a non-interference engine.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Non interference means that if the belt breaks.......just put on a new belt. Won't damage the engine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are going to do the timing belt, I would suggest you replace the water pump at the same time. it is driven by the timing belt and have heard many stories of people replacing the timing belt and not the water pump, only to have the water pump start leaking not long after, meaning having to pull it all down again to replace it.

As for US prices, in most cases getting parts from the US can be cheaper than buying here is oz, and this includes the freight costs, might be worth pricing everything from oz and then find out how much everything will cost from US including freight. There are a lot of places around that ship from US to Australia.

Cheers,
:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys , thanks for all your info , really appreciate it :D , based on all your info I will definitly replace the water pump , i have a new alternator to go on also so she's gonna be good as new once this is all done. its getting a service at the same time plus the slip yoke will be re-greased cause the clunk is back , i seem to get 6 months out of it once the slip yoke is greased so every service i make sure the mechanic also does that oh yer and just got a set of cooper ATv3 245/70/16 fitted , $310.00 each , they say they are gauranteed for 80,000kms , the previous set of Coopers were Discoverer ATV they had a gaurantee of 50,000kms but were only $250.00 each , the new once look awesome 8)

·
Registered
497 Posts
The AC comp on my 95 trooper seized a couple of years ago. I replaced the accumulator, compressor, and the valve that goes on the evaporator. I pulled all the lines and the condeser, evaporator and flushed and cleaned them. I didn't see lots of debris, and they seemed to be flowing good, so I reused them. I put it all back together, pulled vacume to test for leaks. Added oil, seems like it was 7 or 8 ounces for mine, and charged the system. It has been through two full summers now and the AC works great. It was well worth the effort to fix it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts