Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out that the stock wheel offset is 38mm on my Amigo's 16x7s. Anyone ever tried to run aftermarket wheels with 0mm, 12mm or 25mm offset ? Any ill effect ? Can I use 15" wheels ?

I would like to run the stock 16x7s for streets and get 15x7 or 15x8 with Super Swamper for going off road.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 15x8" AR-767s (black steel wagon wheels) have a 3.75" backspacing, which means that they have a +6.35 offset. Right now, I have 31x11.50 TSL LTBs, and they don't rub at all in the front, and only rub on a real good squat in the rear, and that's all at stock height.

If you went with a 15x7 wheel, it would have a 4" backspacing, or 0mm. That would really go a long way toward keeping rear wheel scrub under control, as I'm wishing I'd have gone with 7" wheels. As a matter of fact, go get a set of toyota truck wheels from a scrapyard, or somewhere cheap, and try those. If you're out fifty bucks, at least you could try 'em on before buying 'em like I did.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I scored a set of Tundra steel wheels for $26.50 on eBay last night. The alloy wheels from a Tundra have 16mm offset, assuming the steel wheels have the same offset, this is going to be interesting.

I'm thinking about going with Super Swampers in 235/85/16 or 265/70/16 or 31x11.00x16 (Thornbird). The selection within Super Swamper alone is enough to make my head hurt. I'll post something once I got my list of sizes of Super Swamper that might fit the Tundra wheels and my Amigo.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did you verify the diameter of the center hole on the Yota wheels? I know that there have been a few issues with center holes not being big enough to fit the Isuzu hub assembly. Hope it works out for you, nice score for little $.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, I didn't verify the center bore. I assume all wheels with 6x5.5 PCD will have the same center bore, but I maybe wrong. We'll see once I got the wheels here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if this helps you or not but I have a 98 rodeo that came with steel 16" wheels that the paint was peeling off of. Some one gave me a set of 15" amigo alum. wheels (6 hole type) off of a 94 amigo. they had 31x10.5 tires on them but they rubbed the fender wells(stock height). The offset was different and the wheels stick out about an inch more than the stock 16" wheels. I put a set of 235/65/r15s on and they ride great and give it a wide stance.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they stuck out exactly an inch more, that means the offset is 12-13mm (stock is 38mm, 1 inch = 25 mm). In selecting tires, I go by manufacturer's specs because "31 inch" tires don't have exactly 31" (some do, but most are rounded off measurement) diameter.

I looked up the specs for the current tires on the truck and they have a 29.8" diameter (245/70/16) and I can see how little space left between the tire and fender well at full turn. I can probably squeeze an inch (means 2" increase in diameter) but that's about it. Any bigger and I'll have to lose the mudflaps and "adjust" the fender well.

Right now I'm eyeing the 31x11.50-16LT Super Swamper LTB (http://www.intercotire.com/html/ltb.htm). Overall/Outside Diameter (OD) is 31.0" and Cross Sectional (CS) width is 10.3". Compared to the current tires, the LTB is only 1.2" larger in diameter (0.6" larger in radius) and only 0.5" wider. Coupled with smaller offset wheels, the LTB lugs that stick out the sidewall might clear the frame/sway bar/everything else inside the front fender wells at full turns.

The LTB is the cheapest in Super Swamper line and the price of four of them shipped with road hazard warranty is $532. Price for the 15" LTB with 15x8 black rock crawler steel wheels (package) is $668 (mounted, balanced, warranty, shipping; no lug nuts or center caps which are $25 extra). The same package for the 16" (16x8 black rock crawlers and 31x11.50-16 LTB) is $799. I'm hard pressed to go cheaper by buying just the 16" LTB and put them on the used Tundra wheels (total cheapest is $618 after mounting & balancing, Tundra wheels cost included) when compared to the 15" package. The only advantage is Tundra wheels have 16 mm offset instead of 0 mm for the rock crawlers (4.25" back spacing).

I don't know, all these scenarios make my head hurts :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
POS VETT said:
Hmmm, I didn't verify the center bore. I assume all wheels with 6x5.5 PCD will have the same center bore, but I maybe wrong. We'll see once I got the wheels here.
You've really gotta be careful on this point. Almost all GM 6-lug wheels have too small a center bore to fit over Isuzu hubs. I can't actually remember ever seeing a factory GM wheel that would fit on an Isuzu, except for 5-lug stuff.

You should be okay, though, with the Yota wheels. Nissan, Datsun, and older Mitsubishi wheels should work, too.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
I can't actually remember ever seeing a factory GM wheel that would fit on an Isuzu, except for 5-lug stuff

besides the Hombre, which is GM made. what Isuzu is five lug???

I put 90 Amigo 15" (31x10.5x15) on my 1996 Rodeo and they stick out in the front about 2" and 1" in the rear, yet they are correct on 94-earilier Rodeos, After that Trooper fiasco with Consumer Reports, Isuzu widened their vehicles track to makie them more stable at 4g turns like CR put them thru to deliberately flip them. Isuzu has different tracks f/r for better handling in poor weather. The front and rear tires wont share 100% of the same track in snow. Well, the other option is 98-up Isuzu 16" alloys, they are the proper offset to sit flush with the fenders and are 16x7". This should protect against front fender rear rub, but not sure about the frame rubbing.
As far as the center bore goes, i think its 108mm for the 4wd hubs. GM escalde rims wont fit, they only fit the 2wd Pup hubs.

Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to use a wheel adapter to fit a 5 lug bolt patterned wheel onto one of our rides? I have a friend who is willing to pretty much GIVE me his polished chrome wheels off his s-10 and I was thinking with a wheel adapter, it MIGHT work...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys I've trimmed all the fenders and put flares on my rodeo what would be the best cheap rim I could find to get maximum offset? 2 inches at most :bom:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts