Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 Amigo with about 40K miles on it. The OEM tires are just about to go and I can't wait to get something good on this thing. I would have to say that the one thing that really bugges me about my Amigo is the Brimstone Dueler tires that came with it. They are squishy and slippery and tend to make the rear suspension pogo if inflated to a safe level (I keep them at 30psi not the recommended 28psi) and I don't think they look that cool either.

I drive mostly around town in the Boston area (lots of pot holes and winding roads), but do take a lot of highway trips up to the White Mountains as well as do a limited amount of Fire Road driving to get to good Mountain Biking locations.

Dose anyone have any good suggestions or can anyone give me a good reason to or not to go with:

BFG All Terrain T/A KO
BFG Rugged Trail T/A
BFG Radial Long Trail T/A
BFG Open Trail T/A

Also, I plan to go up to 265/75/16 from the OEM 245/70/16. I think that's about as big as I can go without having to modify the suspension or wheel wells.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know you are kinda salty about the Bridgestone line, but i challenge you to find a better AT tire all around than the Bridgestone Dueller AT REVO. MANY people have these on their 2gen amigo/rodeo/rs. I have them in 265/75/16 on stock rims and needed to trim a MINOR amount, infact, just a tad more than when i had the Yokohama Geolandars on.

Just one thing with them...make sure you get the load range C tires...not the standard load. The SL's are a bit squishy and wallowy. Traction is fantastic, on wet/dry/snow. I live just east of Pittsburgh, I get my fair share of snow. The warranty is the best in the tire biz too. Check them out on www.tirerack.com and then get a shop locally to pricematch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason, I found a place to get BFG All Terrain T/A KO 275/75/16s installed for $150ea. They seem to be getting such good reviews and that is such a good price - I just can't find a good reason not to get them - other than your opinion of course. By the way, when I used to race super-bikes, we used to call Bridgestones "Slipstones" and we did not mean slip in a good way. What pressure are you running your Dueler Revos at? Maybe it's not Bridgestone - but me?

How much and where exactly did you have to "trim" when you put 275/75/16s on your stock rims? Is it something a dork like me can do with no real auto skills?

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you run down to your local Walmart you can get a BFG Land Terrain in the 265-75-16 installed for $105.20 each, thats with that life tire bal. and life time rot. and road side asst. for the life of the tire, about 46k-52k miles, now you may need to run the tire a little light on psi but thats a product of wheel base and other factors that you have no control over, hey you will never get the ride out of a Jeep Wrangler with any tires on it you can get with you ZU running any tire! I have a friend that said he did not have any rub at all with this tire/size but he is on road all the time, sounds like same use as yours gets, Zu 4 evr !!![/color]

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live in Newton, MA and have a 99 Amigo. I have 32" BFG AT KO tires and think they are pretty darn good. No complaints. I hear they wear really well on road as well. So far so good. I've had them on for 10k miles.
If road noise is a concern of yours you'll find that they are pretty quiet for being a fairly aggressive AT. I hear them at 25-40 mph (around town driving) but at highway speeds they aren't loud enough for me to hear them over general soft top noise. Snow ans rain traction is very good.
--jeremy

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
We'll have to wait for jason to pop back in here, but the two tires brands he has upgraded too, were added after he had his lift on his truck.

The key spot where it gets a bit dicey for larger tires in the front mud flaps. I know when my truck was brand new off the lot the stockers rubbed the front mud flaps a bit while turning.

-Ryan

·
Registered
79 Posts
I gotta chime in with a nay on the attitude regarding B-Stone A/Ts. They, in my experience (30,000 miles) are a great, long lasting, all around tire. I've had BFGs before-good tires also, but A/T v A/T-no comparison. Duellers Kick ***. The only advantage BFG may have over B-Stne is they wear insanely long-other than that..... I live where it rains-ALOT-and the road manners of my Duellers have been surprisingly good. On the trails, in mud, sand and rocks, not even a whimper. Great traction, excellent self-cleaning characteristics and low noise. Obviously, I'm a believer. I'm gonna need a new set soon, and I think I'm gonna run some M/Ts, and no doubt, I'm gonna keep running Duellers! My 2 centz- 8)
ToddZ, Kona/Hawaii 8)

·
Registered
558 Posts
if you did alot of off roading i was going to say, nothing comapres to Intercos. But since you need long tread wear good road maners and probly dont whant the beautiful houl of swampers on your truck (i wont trade my swampers for anything), BFGs are where its at. Granted i have limited experience whith the brigestones, BFG A/Ts are awsome. I have some friends that run em and they handle well in all weather and for an A/T do vary well in mud.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds to me like I have two very simple choices:

BFG AT KO

or

BS Dueler AT Revo

Any consensus on size? I am running the stock rims with no lift and no modifications to the wheel wells or mud flaps.

Thanks everyone! Can you imagine where I'd be if I had tried to make this decision on the advice of a couple of local dealers? :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Without a lift you MAY be able to squeeze in 265/70/16s, but you should easily be able to get 245/70/16 (or 15, depending on rim size). I highly recommend a suspension lift though, especially if you want a little bigger tire. A 2-3" lift is'nt very difficult or expensive. Look for Independent4X.com, or Darlington Off-Road.com. Great products and good, knowledgeable guys! Best of luck!

ToddZ-Kona, Hawaii 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.