Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I have a cracked head on my '99 Trooper. It's leaking coolant into one of the plug wells on the passenger side of the engine. I've had the truck in the garage since I noticed the problem, but I need to get it fixed. At this point I'm trying to decide on whether I should take it to the dealer, or to a local mechanic. The truck has about 113K on it, and I'm not sure if a local mechanic will have to use a new OEM head, or if there are aftermarket parts that would be less expensive.

I know I'm not the first to crack a head on a Trooper. What has worked for those of you who have had similar problems?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I have never heard of anyone cracking a V6 head, it was fairly common on some of the 1st gen 4-cyl. engines, but not the V6s...not saying it couldn't have happened, but I think it is rare...are you sure it isn't just the head gasket?

Also, I am not aware of any aftermarket V6 heads. There is a company called AMC that sells good heads for the 4-bangers, worth checking there I guess.

I think used heads would be a good idea, from a place like this: http://www.allhyundaiisuzuparts.com/

·
Registered
591 Posts
There was a run of 3.2/3.5 cylinder heads in 1998-99 that were prone to coolant leakage into the plug wells and combustion chamber. I dont' remember exactly, but I think they had either a "K" or "W" stamping on the side. Those were the leakers. Any 1998+ 3.2/3.5 (Non-DI) head will bolt right up. They are interchangeable.

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was there a fix for those heads, or were they just replaced?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up just taking it to the dealer for a new head. I also had them do all the scheduled maintenance. I was thinking about selling the truck, but now it looks like I'm keeping it for a while. I just hope the other head doesn't go any time soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.