Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Aftermarket fuel gauge 2001 isuzu rodeo

4K views 37 replies 4 participants last post by  Buster28 
#1 ·
The entire time i have had my rodeo the fuel gauge has not worked and i cannot figure out why ive done all i know to do so i was wondering how difficult wiring up an aftermarket fuel gauge would be and if anyone had recommendations for what type or what specific gauge i should use. Thanks.

#4 ·
There is only one wire connecting the 01 Rodeo fuel gauge to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and two wires connecting the fuel tank fuel level potentiometer to the PCM.
The resistance of the potentiometer is 80 ohms to 290 ohms.

PCM E-22 Pin 50 Orange/Green fuel level potentiometer signal
PCM E-22 Pin 60 Blue/Yellow fuel level potentiometer ground
PCM E-22 Pin 48 Yellow/Red to instrument panel connector I-9 Pin 3

The Fuel Level Gauge has 3 connections:
The fuel level signal from the PCM via instrument panel connector I-9 Pin 3
The fuel level gauge ground, shared with the other gauges
The fuel level gauge +12 Vdc power, shared with the other gauges

If your Fuel Level Gauge does not work there is likely a broken wire between the PCM and the fuel tank connector or a defective fuel level potentiometer.

It is easier to fix your truck than trying to retrofit an aftermarket gauge imho.

#5 ·
There is only one wire connecting the 01 Rodeo fuel gauge to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and two wires connecting the fuel tank fuel level potentiometer to the PCM.
The resistance of the potentiometer is 80 ohms to 290 ohms.

PCM E-22 Pin 50 Orange/Green fuel level potentiometer signal
PCM E-22 Pin 60 Blue/Yellow fuel level potentiometer ground
PCM E-22 Pin 48 Yellow/Red to instrument panel connector I-9 Pin 3

The Fuel Level Gauge has 3 connections:
The fuel level signal from the PCM via instrument panel connector I-9 Pin 3
The fuel level gauge ground, shared with the other gauges
The fuel level gauge +12 Vdc power, shared with the other gauges

If your Fuel Level Gauge does not work there is likely a broken wire between the PCM and the fuel tank connector or a defective fuel level potentiometer.

It is easier to fix your truck than trying to retrofit an aftermarket gauge imho.
I have already had the fuel level potentiometer replaced and that didnt fix the problem and its weird like if i hit a bump or something the gauge might work for a minute but its very rare that this happens so im noy sure where to look really to fix this

#11 ·
The fuel level sending unit is a variable resistor called a potentiometer. The potentiometer is controlled by a float that moves up or down depending on the fuel level in the tank. The potentiometer has an operating range of 80 ohms to 290 ohms, 80 ohms when the tank is full to 290 ohms when the tank is empty. There are two wires connected to the potentiometer, one is a +5 volt direct current (Vdc) source provided by the Powertrain Control Unit (PCM) and the other is a signal ground, also connected to the PCM. As the resistance of the potentiometer changes the electrical current flow in the circuit changes. If there is no current flow because the circuit is open (broken wire) the voltage at the PCM input sensor remains at +5Vdc. The PCM will detect this and set DTC P0463.

The two wires from the potentiometer are connected to the PCM using five electrical connectors.
Fuel Pump assembly at the fuel tank (F-1)
PCM (E-22)
H-5 is a 16 Pin Green Connector on the LH inner fender.
H-15 is 20 Pin Blue Connector behind the LH kick panel
H-25 is a 13 Pin White Connector under the LH (driver) seat

See if you can locate the H-15 connector.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

#12 ·
The fuel level sending unit is a variable resistor called a potentiometer. The potentiometer is controlled by a float that moves up or down depending on the fuel level in the tank. The potentiometer has an operating range of 80 ohms to 290 ohms, 80 ohms when the tank is full to 290 ohms when the tank is empty. There are two wires connected to the potentiometer, one is a +5 volt direct current (Vdc) source provided by the Powertrain Control Unit (PCM) and the other is a signal ground, also connected to the PCM. As the resistance of the potentiometer changes the electrical current flow in the circuit changes. If there is no current flow because the circuit is open (broken wire) the voltage at the PCM input sensor remains at +5Vdc. The PCM will detect this and set DTC P0463.

The two wires from the potentiometer are connected to the PCM using five electrical connectors.
Fuel Pump assembly at the fuel tank (F-1)
PCM (E-22)
H-5 is a 16 Pin Green Connector on the LH inner fender.
H-15 is 20 Pin Blue Connector behind the LH kick panel
H-25 is a 13 Pin White Connector under the LH (driver) seat

See if you can locate the H-15 connector.
View attachment 120201
Yes i found it now what?

#13 ·
The image shows the H-15 connector faces, one face with pins and other with sockets. You can't tell from the image which side has the pins or which side has the sockets. So I refer to the wire position in the connector as a hole.

H-15 hole 11 contains a Blue/Yellow wire and hole 17 contains a Orange/Green wire. These two wires are connected to the fuel level potentiometer on one half of H-15 and the PCM on other half of H-15 . One half of H-15 has hole 11 and hole 17 wires that go to a connector under the driver seat, these connect to the fuel level potentiometer.

Separate the H-15 connector and measure the resistance between hole 11 and 17 on the connector half that has the Blue/Yellow and Orange/Green wires connected to the connector under the seat.

Since the fuel level potentiometer range is 80 to 290 ohms the expected measured resistance should be in this range. However, I think your going to read infinity because I expect one of these wires is open ("broken") between H-15 and the fuel tank. The next step depends on the results of this test. It is a good idea to disconnect the battery before separating the H-15 connector faces and running the resistance test.
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Pattern

#14 · (Edited)
The image shows the H-15 connector faces, one face with pins and other with sockets. You can't tell from the image which side has the pins or which side has the sockets. So I refer to the wire position in the connector as a hole.

H-15 hole 11 contains a Blue/Yellow wire and hole 17 contains a Orange/Green wire. These two wires are connected to the fuel level potentiometer on one half of H-15 and the PCM on other half of H-15 . One half of H-15 has hole 11 and hole 17 wires that go to a connector under the driver seat, these connect to the fuel level potentiometer.

Separate the H-15 connector and measure the resistance between hole 11 and 17 on the connector half that has the Blue/Yellow and Orange/Green wires connected to the connector under the seat.

Since the fuel level potentiometer range is 80 to 290 ohms the expected measured resistance should be in this range. However, I think your going to read infinity because I expect one of these wires is open ("broken") between H-15 and the fuel tank. The next step depends on the results of this test. It is a good idea to disconnect the battery before separating the H-15 connector faces and running the resistance test. View attachment 120214
So my meter is a little old so idk about infinity but when i tried to test it all it did was not change at all
Sports equipment Audio equipment Electric blue Gadget Font

I also tested them at the connector under the seat and got the same thing

#17 ·
If your reading across the correct connector locations, your meter is indicating that the fuel level potentiometer is not connected which is why the gauge does not work. You will have to access the connector on the fuel pump assembly and continuity check each wire from the H-15 (or under seat connector) to the pump assembly connector and figure out which wire is open and repair it.

#18 ·
Okay thank you so much, i just filled up not long ago so ill have to wait until im low on gas and drop the tank. I hope i can find it and get it fixed but you have been such a great help i cant thank you enough weve wasted hundreds across 2 repair shops trying to get it fixed and this is the closest ive been in the past year.

#19 ·
I had a similar issue with my Trooper - gauge was marking empty. I did a brutish job: I simply cut the three wires near the gas tank, measured the sensor resistence on cables near the tank (it was OK 55, Ohm at half full), then simply rerouted new cables to the cabin. First, I bought a chinese fuel gauge, was wrong resistence type (220 Ohm), tried to adjust with external resistors, the indication still was not precise, tried to find the correct gauge, but could not find the correct type. Decided to do a DIY Arduino with LCD, took me about 4 hours to do it completely, plus making an enclosure for it (another 2 hours) but now I have an indication in liters, and after calibrating it, I get +- 2 liters except when full (the sensor has the same value for 78-84 liters), and only then it starts to go down...

#22 ·
Was the complete fuel pump assembly replaced or just the sending unit?

Be aware that most of the aftermarket fuel pump assemblies do not come with a compatible electrical connector. A fuel pump assembly pig tail connector is supplied and the installer cuts off the OEM connector and splices in the pig tail connector. Does your fuel pump assembly have a OEM connector or a cut and splice pig tail connector?

#27 ·
I tested between the fuel pump connector and the H-15 connector i know for a fact that the blue/yellow orange/green and black/orange they all had continuity i wasnt sure how to test the solid black wire because of i didn't see it going into the H-15 connector for me to test

#28 · (Edited)
The Black wire is the Fuel Pump motor ground.The resistance between the Black wire and chassis ground sb less than 1 ohm.
The connector pin out is as show in this image
The Delphi connector/Fuel Pump assembly pin out is as shown.
The Fuel Pump motor should be Pins Gray (B) and Black (C)
The Sending Unit pins should be Violet (A) and Orange/Black trace (D)
What resistance do you read across these pins on the Fuel Pump assembly with the Delphi connector not attached?

Cable Composite material Wire Electrical supply Font

#31 ·
The Black wire is the Fuel Pump motor ground.The resistance between the Black wire and chassis ground sb less than 1 ohm.
The connector pin out is as show in this image
The Delphi connector/Fuel Pump assembly pin out is as shown.
The Fuel Pump motor should be Pins Gray (B) and Black (C)
The Sending Unit pins should be Violet (A) and Orange/Black trace (D)
What resistance do you read across these pins on the Fuel Pump assembly with the Delphi connector not attached?

View attachment 120947
On the fuel pump assembly between pins C and B for the fuel pump motor its reading basically no resistance but there is continuity. But on the pins A and D on the fuel pump assembly there is no continuity.

#32 ·
B and C is the Fuel Pump motor, the resistance is typically very low, probably 3 ohms.
A and D is the sending unit, The resistance has to be between 80 and 290 ohms depending on the fuel level. You will have to pull the pump assembly out of the tank and troubleshoot the sending unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.