Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to fix the valve timing on my Rodeo so I figured this was a good time to fix the AC as well. It turns out that it looks like there are metal shavings in the compressor so I assume they are in the rest of the system. Im told that I need to flush the system and replace all the parts that the metal shavings accumulate in. Can someone give me some advice on what parts to replace and exactly how and with what I should flush the system with? There is just not way its going to a shop. Ive fixed AC problems before and have done the whole thing of pulling a vacuum for a few hours and recharging the system,but Ive never had to deal with something like this.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Compressor, receiver/dryer, and TXV need replaced. Flush evaporator and condenser with mineral spirits to remove anything stuck with the oil, also flush all the lines and hoses. Flush them again when clean with some PAG oil and compressed air to make sure all the mineral spirits are cleared out.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Brake cleaner and compressed air. You can clean the condenser, evaporator and thermal expansion valve but it is highly recommended you remove them and flush them out individually. You will obviously need a new pump and of course the filter/dryer will need replacement.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
betterthanyou said:
Brake cleaner and compressed air. You can clean the condenser, evaporator and thermal expansion valve but it is highly recommended you remove them and flush them out individually. You will obviously need a new pump and of course the filter/dryer will need replacement.
Thanks. That does not sound nearly as bad as I was worried it would be. Im hearing two things,brake cleaner and mineral spirits. I was thinking something like,connect one AC line up to a hole,put a rubber stopper in a can of the appropriate solvent,with two holes,one with a tube about an inch long and another reaching to the bottom,hook the one reaching the bottom to the hose,and then use compressed air to force solvent through the system.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
You can just buy the brake clean and put the stray in the part and fill it up. Swish it around and the blast it out with compressed air. Keep doing it until it is all clean.

Just and FYI you can only clean the tube and fin style condenser and evaporator. You cannot clean the more modern stacked plate and fin style that look like a radiator.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If your condenser is a parallel flow type then they cannot be flushed properly. Either replace it or install a filter after the drier to keep those metal particles from flowing back into your system. Also watch out for the cheap txvs. The first one I bought failed stuck open. The second one I bought makes a siren noise when I turn on the system. 3d time is the charm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mallen said:
I had to fix the valve timing on my Rodeo so I figured this was a good time to fix the AC as well. It turns out that it looks like there are metal shavings in the compressor so I assume they are in the rest of the system. I'm told that I need to flush the system and replace all the parts that the metal shavings accumulate in. Can someone give me some advice on what parts to replace and exactly how and with what I should flush the system with? There is just not way its going to a shop. Ive fixed climate control hvac problems before and have done the whole thing of pulling a vacuum for a few hours and recharging the system,but Ive never had to deal with something like this.
I suggesting on thing to you that, You can bring it to the Professional to fix your AC and if the compressor is damaged by the metal shaving just replace it other wise you have to change whole unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts